Author Topic: Silver Spoon Hallmark  (Read 1955 times)

Mistymaz

• View Profile
Silver Spoon Hallmark
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:16 am »
Hi,

I got a bunch of spoons of which have this hallmark:

It appears to have the number '30' then 'AA' and 'HAB' followed with a traingle.

They were owned by my Great uncle who lived in ireland, but it's a possibility they were sent from america as a gift.
Any information regarding the identification of this hallmark and/or it's value will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie

waywardangler

Re: Silver Spoon Hallmark
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:44:15 am »
The triangle mark is a post-1904 Birmingham import mark. The "AA" mark (possibly American) is a silver plate mark I think. The "HAB" is a maker mark that I have not found yet.

Are you able to show the whole pattern, front and back?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:02:32 am by waywardangler »

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:32 am »
The triangle mark is a post-1904 Birmingham import mark. The "AA" mark (possibly American) is a silver plate mark I think. The "HAB" is a maker mark that I have not found yet.

Are you able to show the whole pattern, front and back?

Ahhh, thanks for the info!

No, unfortunately i forgot to take a picture of the spoon itself! A family member is sending them over to us from ireland in a couple of weeks, as soon as i get them i'll be sure to post up a pic!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:06 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't AA traditionally used by USA and not Birmingham?

As to the value of your piece....the maker is very small or unknown to the major lists of makers.  However, here is very good advice about the value of your silverplated items:

Silverplate flatware contain such little silver that is has no scrap value (silver overlaid upon another cheaper/less valued metal - Silverplate at is thickest point is only about .20mm or 8/1000th of an inch thick.).  So, it's not cost effective to melt them down/recover it...costs more to process than what is recovered. So, unlike sterling, the resale value is not based on silver content.
However, these pointers do help in deciding the value....
Condition, Pattern (unique?, popular pattern and is it easy found for people to add to their sets? The harder to find the higher the asking price.), Rarity (collectible item - uncommon pieces other than traditional place settings)

Remember PATTERN MATTERS A WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
KC said...
Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't AA traditionally used by USA and not Birmingham?
  KC, the triangle mark, from what I have been able to find, is a Birmingham mark that they put on silver items imported into Birmingham. The AA mark is an American silver plate content mark which is why I put "possibly American". I just wanted to clarify this as I am with you on this is most likely American. A pattern pic would be nice but not here for days or weeks?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »
Wayward, I am a bit touched in the head here.....upon second observation, the AA's are scripted AA's and can honestly be a Makers Mark/Initial and not the AA representing silver plate!!!!!!!

This truly can be a piece from Birmingham....but I have also seen a few pieces marked with the pyramid from Mexico FYI.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:25 pm »
KC, thinking out loud here...if AA is a maker's mark what would the HAB be then? It would be nice to have the full pic front and back of the spoon showing the pattern. That might answer some questions.