Author Topic: Thought I would share someting Special  (Read 2134 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Thought I would share someting Special
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »
      I was processing this sugar bowl and really thought this just might be cool enough to show you folks, most I have is run of the mill stuff but this one is sticking out and maybe you can help me target a price.    This is a sugar bowl made by Bernard rice and sons, by the patent date on the item it is a pice that was made at the end of the great silverplate era.  First note that most at this time was making more moderate to deco style pieces.  This is made very victorian in style, a bit odd for this piece.  It has a silver soldier boarder around the body with scenes of everyday life, also hard to see is that it has a soldiered boarder at the base much smaller but with scenes also.  Still a bit confused over the word Dotchard stamped at the base.  Any ideals on that?  It is also kind of large it stands 5 1/4" Tall, bit large for a normal creamer.  Bet this came with a tea set, bet that set was beautiful.  All in all I just found this a bit unique and thought I would share.  Also got any ideals what I should start my price at?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Thought I would share someting Special
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:35 pm »
I really think you should quit your day job and go into bar ware!! ;)

http://www.friedmansilver.com/barware.html

"Bernard Rice & Sons, Apollo EPNS
Classic Cocktail Shaker, "Dutch Art"
line of goods.  13" to the top of the
handle.  Really great size shaker.  
Silver is in near perfect condition.

List Price:  $595
Wholesale Price $415"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:12:48 pm by sapphire »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:13:49 pm »
   Wow, thanks for the leads.  Dutchardt does appear to be the word on the bottom now.  The only thing is that it appears to be scenes of Boats on the rim of those two, a bit different.  I will have to look into this a bit further tomorrow.  Thanks again

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:07:46 am »
I find it interesting that ironlord's piece is clearly stamped "DUTCHARD" and the eBay piece is stamped "DUTCHARDT" with a T on the end. I do not even see a faint missing T on ironlord's piece. I wonder what the difference is.

Ironlord, I do think you should polish this piece before it goes on eBay. From my experience with a sterling cigarette case, there were no bids when I left it in its unpolished, as found state then relisted it and sold it for more $ in its polished sterling silver glory. I am still puzzled over that. Evidently, gleaming silver sells and dull patina silver does not.

I have found the design patent for your piece, ironlord...Design patent 62,175 issued to L.W.Rice. The design illustration follows...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:31:57 am by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:55 am »
You are right, Wayward, in that there doesn't look to be any sign of a T on Ironlord's. However, if you look at the spacing, and assume that the next line would be equally centred, there is the space for a missing letter at the end of DUTCHARD, probably a 'T' ?

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:44:58 am »
Dutchard queries return nothing while Dutchardt queries return many hits. Ironlord's piece must be misstruck?

I found a chocolate pot selling for $10 in 2008 and a 5 pc coffee set (starting price $50) going unsold in 2008 on icollector. A pitcher sold on etsy in 2009 with a shipping price of $12 but the selling price is unknown.

So with that info, I would expect it to sell for $10 but not much more as long as shipping was reasonable.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:38 am »
Not necessarily, could be that it was spelled intentionally with the T missing for sales here !!  My mothers family name was Burkhart which is a German name.  Original spelling was Burkhardt. Evidently when ancestors immigrated to the US they dropped the D and used the more American spelling !! I think that was early in 1900`s. As this piece is Deco in style and would be from around the same time perhaps they also dropped a letter in favor of something more American !!

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:33 am »
Judging from the design patent, I think Dutchard or Dutchardt was a play on words for Dutch Art.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:47:17 am »
One place I found said that Dutchard or Dutchardt was the pattern name !! Or at least that is what they think !! However I found no reference to the word when I looked under word origins other than as is associated with this type of silverplate.   It really is a nice Deco piece whatever it means !!