Author Topic: What is this? Semi-reflective glass ball table lamp w/ stand  (Read 3424 times)

kizh

• View Profile
Hi everyone

I'm new here, I am looking for someone to enlighten me on what exactly I have.

My grandmother had a lamp that I was always fascinated with and when she remodeled sometime in the 80's she gave it to me.  I used it for about 4 years, then had it in storage for another 25.  I had seen something similar in an antiques store that was roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the size and it was priced at $300.  This was probably 15 years ago at least.

It is roughly 17" high and 50" circumference.  It is cut on one side so it will stand on the base.  There are no markings at all.  I'm guessing it was bought in the Southern California area.  There's some minor defects, like a small air pocket in one spot and it looks like whatever was brushed on the inside missed a very small streak.  I've attached 3 photos

Thanks for any help you can give, from history to approximate value.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: What is this? Semi-reflective glass ball table lamp w/ stand
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »
The wiring does not look old to me, 1970's at the earliest I would say.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kizh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:23 pm »
I agree, its not really that old.  I guess I don't know what classifies as an antique.  40 years too early?  I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to finding out more about it.

Maybe instead of an antiques forum I should find an art forum.  I don't think these were mass produced. 

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 04:29:57 pm »
Yes, Tales is right, with the inline switch on the cord it does not look very old.

I have no idea what it does other than put out some ambiance light?

kizh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »
its just a dimmer.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »
Closest thing I've come across so far ...... 60's

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=381633

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »
Reminds me of disco days !!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:33:23 pm »
You have a gazing ball lamp.  They were popular in mid/late 1900's.  Would be shocked if they are selling for $50. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kizh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 08:48:07 pm »
It is much like a gazing ball, but I think its more crafted than mass produced.  Keep in mind its 17" high, I havent seen anything close to that on google yet.

I think its closer to sapphire's link, possibly some high end furnishings store.  It wasn't a family heirloom, so it probably goes back to the 60's or 70's, and it was given to me by my grandmother who was VP of a major bank.  I think she liked shiny things, price did not matter to her back then.  At the same time she was very worried about what people thought of her, and I doubt she would have a guest looking at a $50 lamp in her house.

I guess this could be more 'vintage' than antiques, but I am loving all the comments.  I appreciate it a lot.

I could really care less about the price, unless I could get rich off it.  I'd probably keep it even if it were worth a couple grand.  I have this urge to know where it came from.

I was really into M.C. Escher back then, and looking into this was just like that print he has where he is looking into a ball.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »
Gazing balls are mass produced today, you can find them in garden sections of stores.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kizh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24:37 pm »
find me a 17" one with a 50" circumference for $50 in even 1950 dollars.

I need a matching one!

most gazing balls are 100% reflective and used in gardens.

I think this lamp is a little different, but what do I know!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »
In the 60's these were sold as hanging swag lamps traditionally and are still liked/admired by many.  Some were handcrafted for table tops.  If you would look for vintage hanging swag lamps you might surely have one come along.

Just for example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320691362534#ht_500wt_1156.

Actuallly in the 70's I had a large (18" irridescent clear globe) hanging lamp that the globe itself was an aquarium with the light/shade mounted above it that someone made/sold in a lamp shop in Daytona, FL.  Had the same size opening with lip as it appears that you have....and it was originally for a swag lamp (Paid $25 plus tax for it back them....boy would love to have that back!)

Best of luck on your search!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:06:56 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!