Author Topic: Please help identify this old box  (Read 3827 times)

Jamie

• View Profile
Please help identify this old box
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »
I've had it for years and thought it might have been used to ship something in but I'm just not sure. It has writing on it but I don't know quite what it says. The measurements are 29 1/2 inches wide,, 21 inches deep and 21 inches tall. The handles were probably hemp or burlap but were pretty worn off when I got it. I thought it may have said Henley Bread, but I'm not familiar.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:11:25 pm by Jamie »

Jamie

• View Profile
Re: Please help identify this old box
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:46:48 pm »

[img]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Granny822/GEDC0423-

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »

Thor

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »
One set of writing seems to say "Keeney, Kans"  Which could be WaKeeney, Kansas- county seat of Trego county.

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »
Thank You Thor, very interesting indeed,,that gives me a something to go on in my quest to find out the history of it and it's worth.    :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:00:00 pm by Jamie »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »
I am wondering if this could be an old chicken or other type of animal transport crate? The wired sides keeping the slats separated look consistant with some (but not all) old chicken crates. It would be for something requiring ventilation I believe.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:05:25 am »
I wouldn't think animal transport as it has pieces of very thin paper left, like the interior had a layer of paper on it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:38:10 am »
I have to agree with the other observations as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:51 am »
In the old days, everything was shipped in wood boxes, crates or barrels either by horse n' wagon or by railroad.

Like cardboard boxes today, those wood containers became the property of the recipiant to do with however they wanted to.

Supposeldy, Henry Ford mandated specific dimensions, type of wood, etc. for one of the shipping containers a vendor had to make/use for shipping car parts to the factory. Upon receipt of the parts, they would unpack them, dismantle the wood crate and the boards were "pre-cut" and ready to be installed as the "floorboards" in the Model T's.   

The above pictured box has reinforced corners which makes me think it was made to be a reuseable "shipping container". Like back n' forth between two locations.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:42:27 pm »
Ditto cogar!!!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 03:35:23 pm »
In the old days, everything was shipped in wood boxes, crates or barrels either by horse n' wagon or by railroad.

Like cardboard boxes today, those wood containers became the property of the recipiant to do with however they wanted to.

Supposeldy, Henry Ford mandated specific dimensions, type of wood, etc. for one of the shipping containers a vendor had to make/use for shipping car parts to the factory. Upon receipt of the parts, they would unpack them, dismantle the wood crate and the boards were "pre-cut" and ready to be installed as the "floorboards" in the Model T's.   

The above pictured box has reinforced corners which makes me think it was made to be a reuseable "shipping container". Like back n' forth between two locations.

Thank you, this is most interesting and something I will definitely check into. Any idea of what it might be worth? 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »
Jamie, found one that is similar to yours (no lid though). Bearing in mind asking price and what someone is willing to pay are usually two very different things ;)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Antique-Atlantic-Pacific-Tea-Wooden-Store-Crate-/320696192331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaafb8d4b#ht_1595wt_898

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:08 pm »
Thank you sapphire, it does have some of the same looks as mine though as you say the lid is missing a a few minor differences. I actually bout it for $2 about 40 years ago.    I have always been just a novice collector over my many years but really just bought what appealed to me for personal pleasure. I've never known what anything was worth, I just liked the things I bought. Now at my age and puters and all it's a whole new world. My thoughts are kinda learning what my many things are worth and maybe getting the courage to defeat this puter fear, lol and try and sell some of my many wonderful possessions . I know if I went tomorrow my kids would just send it all to goodwill not caring or even knowing what things are .

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »
I think you got well more than your $2 worth  ;) I'm a sucker for the 'old stuff' myself and am the first to laugh at myself for it too. Luckily my kids are well aware of my love for my additions and the reasons behind it.

As for these &*%@ computers, at the first onset of panic I message the software engineer and she immediately (well, after chuckling) helps mom out of her problem and over her frustration. :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 02:23:27 am »
I think your box would sale for a minimum of $50 to $75 given the right exposure because of its many potential uses that will attract a variety of buyers.

A coffee table, toy box, end table, blanket chest, decorator piece, etc., ...... and with a cushion on top it would make a fine hall seat, etc.