Author Topic: Erwin Lambeth Chairs  (Read 2323 times)

alan

Erwin Lambeth Chairs
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:18 pm »
Ok everyone, I have an interesting problem.  I have some Erwin Lambeth chairs (spider back) and Im not sure what they are worth and how to prove their authenticity to a potential buyer.  There are no tags or markings that I can see.  I know the bottom of the chair (I can't remember the technical term for that material on the underside of the seat), has been changed.  Im a little afraid to remove that underside to see if there is possibly still an original tag inside the seat, so I thought I would come to you guys and ask some advice or best way to confidently say these are indeed what they are supposed to be.  I truly believe they are, because the gentleman I purchased them from is a respectable and trust worthy person, but in selling them, its what the customer believes that is important.  In addition, if these are authentic, what are they worth?  Pictures to follow.

alan

Re: Erwin Lambeth Chairs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:45 pm »
I have been told that if these are authentic, they are worth quite a bit of money.............m ore pics

alan

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:53:02 pm »
more

alan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:54:31 pm »
Sorry guys, I know I should figure out how to post all these in 1 post but Im not technologically sound enough YET

alan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:55:43 pm »
last one, unless more requested.  This is just the color of the material on the seat area

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:18:34 am »
You've probably already seen these, but just in case .. It is always very difficult to authenticate furniture if it doesn't have some identifying mark. Yours look to be in very good condition, that could mean that they're original and been well looked after or reproductions. You can look for signs of wear and the 'P' word, but their absence still won't mean they're not original.

http://www.victorianreplicas.com/chairs/one/9.htm

There are a lot out there, but strangely enough I've not yet found any reference to Erwin Lambeth spider backs ... maybe others will have more luck!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:07:25 am »
Since repros have been made of these and you can't find markings....I would recommend a hands on inspection from a good furniture person in your area to authenticate!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

alan

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »
KC, Im not even sure where to find a good furniture person.  How would you recommend I find someone like that?

Also, if they are genuine Erwin Lambeth chairs, do you or anyone else have any idea how this effects the value?  I simply can't find much online on Lambeth as far as determining value.

Thanks

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:37 pm »
These chairs reminded me instantly of the spiderweb windows at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose CA where I used to work as a tour guide.

Look at the legs of the chair for signs of wear/use and look at the underside of the seat for the construction, looking for any modern materials not related to the reupholstering. I agree, you are going to need to get these appraised in person. I would start on Google and run searches in your local area for antiques appraisers. Discuss with the appraiser what the cost would be versus the potential value of the chairs.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

alan

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:06:18 am »
Thank you! I will try that.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 12:09:26 am »
Be sure to come back and update us on how it goes!
Antiqueaholic in recovery