Author Topic: Oil painting signed FORD  (Read 2795 times)

zharsanyi72

• View Profile
Oil painting signed FORD
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:13 pm »
I can not find any similar signature or painting.
Hopefully somebody can help me.

15.1/4" x 11.5"

The frame is stamped :WOLSEY CO #16 INDUSTRY CAL
On the edge of the canvas :Fo-70 99 or 7099 .

Similar painting
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-Oil-Canvas-Signed-M-FORD-1935-/130487272631?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item1e61a5c4b7

waywardangler

Re: Oil painting signed FORD
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:21 am »
Does not look like anything special to me. The similar example you listed does not have the same signature or style. I think it is one of thousands of paintings done by local artists all over the country. If you like the painting then I would hang it and enjoy it but to make $, it would have to be a known artist with a demand for their painting.  There is a rather substantial book available (Davenport's?) that lists known artist names and works. It might be to your advantage to pick up an older copy for reference if you will be dealing in art. I am just not seeing the quality in this painting but then I am not an art connoisseur.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »
Same here Wayward !!  Its just a nice little country painting to hang,, simple pine frame !!  Might make $30.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:43:28 pm »
Sorta-kinda on the same bus with what the other members say , esp. since I don't recognize the sig in your item .

It does seem to be done in a rustic manner , and is a snapshot of the artists' work @ that time , even if quickly so .

One small tip I have to offer (unless my eyes are fooling me again , in which case disregard all of the following drivel from an old blind man) when selecting paintings on fabrics/linen/canvas & so on , check up close to see if the fabric has been mounted/stretched in such a way that the weave is parallel to the edges of the frame to which it is affixed .
Often one can find/spot mass-produced items easily even at a distance , by observing canvases that have been painted on 'off-kilter' - aka factory 'second'-quality canvas - (sometimes this is due to the poverty of the artist , but not so often) .
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:18:25 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "