Author Topic: Beautiful hand made beveled glass jewelry box  (Read 2398 times)

agreeneyes

Beautiful hand made beveled glass jewelry box
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »
I purchased this for $8.00 at a yard sale.  I was told it belonged to their grandmother.  I was also told it was hand made, there isn't any makers mark.  It has a beautiful beveled etched design and the inside is mirrored.  The top when opened is secured with a chain to prevent it from falling back. I'm only able to post 4 pictures and I took pictures with a black background, white background and on a light wood hutch.  I'm not sure if the pictures I post show this beautiful piece.  I'm wondering if anyone can tell if this is older and what age it would be  and possibly a value on this.

It's 2 1/2" tall, 6 1/4" wide, 4 1/4" deep, to handle 4 3/4" deep
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:44:03 pm by agreeneyes »

waywardangler

Re: Beautiful hand made beveled glass jewelry box
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »
Any waviness or voids (air bubbles) in the glass?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26:19 am »
If it is original, then over here (UK) it could be worth a few $$.  I've recently seen a late Victorian base metal one with beautifully etched with Parisienne scenes on its sides and lid go for over £300, and a  Victorian silver one with relatively plain glass go for c£200. But price tags do vary quite a bit. Things which will determine the value will be whether it is molded or cut glass/crystal, quality of the etching, condition, age etc. I' m no expert on glass, but I'm sure others will be able to share their knowledge.

agreeneyes

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:28 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by waviness but there doesn't seem to be any noticeable air bubbles.    What I think is unusual is the inside bottom mirror is wavy and has lines through it. I was rubbing the metal and black came off and it appears to have a coppery undertone and the chain looks coppery also. Every etched panel is different so I think they are hand etched. Thank you

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:14:34 am »
     From the pics it appears to be a pressed design and not etched.  If they are etched it would have sharper edges, They appear to be smooth.

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:51:23 am »
Very old glass usually has some imperfections in it such as waviness or air bubbles. The black that is coming off is oxidation or also know as patina. If you polish the metal with the appropriate polish, the polishing rag will turn very black and the metal will be gleaming (if that is what you desire).

I agree with ironlord in that the design appears to be pressed in the glass rather than etched.

agreeneyes

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:50:26 am »
So what does being pressed as opposed to etched on the design mean for this piece.  Does that help you determine the age and value of it.   From what you can see would you be able to date this and possibly estimate a value, thank you

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:59:29 am »
     Not sure that it will affect the price too much.  Pressed Glass has been around since about the early 1800's.  As for dating your item I would only be able to guess.  I don't personnaly think it is over 50 years old, most older glass can usually be spotted easy enough, That is Glass for 1800's.  Usually has imperfection like bubbles and such, and has a slight Frosted look sometimes from age. and etc.  As for value I would not personnally go much more then about $30.00, from what I see in the photo's.  If I could personnaly touch the item sometimes I can get the date down a bit better. 

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »
This site explains some differences between pressed, etched, cut, blown, etc. glass...http://www.heiseymuseum.org/glasstypes.html

I am not real familiar with glass so I cannot help out with dating or value. I think you have to go with the quality of the piece to set a value. By quality I mean, are the solder joints neat or sloppy, do the metal strips fit tight or loose, is the glass heavy and well done or cheap and light, etc. Holding this in your hand and looking at it, is this box something a high end retailer would have sold or would one find it in a five & dime store (Made in China nowadays). Old glass should exhibit wear where it was handled or slid on a surface. Evident by years of scratches with are smoother rather than sharper lines.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
Hi agreeneyes ... As Ironlord mentions, if it is cut glass, crystal, or etched, then the edges of the relief are sharper than if it is pressed glass. With my fingers having been used to smooth out cement, scratching around in the ground in the garden, and having been abused in a thousand different ways over the years, they're not as sensitive, so when I find a piece of glass and I'm not sure what it is, I gently rub it against my wrist or forearm, which are more sensitive, and I can normally tell ...if it runs over the skin smoothly,. it's 'probably'  pressed, molded.
That will normally (but there are exceptions) make a massive difference to the value of the item.

agreeneyes

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »
You have good eyes it is smooth, thank you for all of the information