Author Topic: antique vase and table  (Read 1470 times)

gd70

• View Profile
antique vase and table
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:22:55 pm »
Can any one help me with info on these pieces. My mother gave these to me she has had them for 45yrs she got them from her great aunt that lived to be 105 and got the as a wedding gift at the age of 17so she had the for 88yrs. She got them from her great grand mother. My mother said the table was made for the vase that is all I know. Any help would be great.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: antique vase and table
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:15 am »
It is hard to make out any detail from the photo of the vase, could you post a better one?
The table does look as if it has some age to it, I'd love to think that she history of it being made specifically for the vase was fact ... but it would seem odd for such a table? The table looks Middle Eastern or even from the sub-continent. In style it reminds me of those antique Indian folding tables from the late 1800s - early 1900s.
Don't know if anyone else has any ideas?

gd70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:41 am »
Here are some better pics of vase. The table does not fold it is fixed. Any clue on the meaning of the writing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:49:51 pm by gd70 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:26:21 am »
Hi ... Yes, it looks as if it won't fold  :D It just reminds me of that particular style, which was common to the Middle East and the Sub Continent in that period, that very shape, very heavily carved, often with ebony and MoP inserts. This is only a guess, but the writing on the table looks Arabic (any Arabic speakers out there?) .. and the vase most probably Chinese or Japanese. Are there any markings at all on the base?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »
I am with Mario on these pieces !! Is the vase done in relief ?? Are there any markings on the base and is it smooth or does the rim feel rough ? Can you take a pic of the bottom of the vase ??

gd70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:46:08 pm »
The bottom is not really smooth there are no markings. It looks as if it is some kinda carved plaster. Could it be an urn? The rim at the top is very thick.will post more when I get home.