Author Topic: Should I try to make this milk box "look nicer"?  (Read 1745 times)

ilyaz

• View Profile
Should I try to make this milk box "look nicer"?
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
I've put this vintage milk box (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280695313258&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT) up for auction but so far there were no bids. One thing that I did not do was to try removing rust from its lid and sides. I did not want to do that in fear of destroying the box. Still, is there any way of making this box more attractive to potential buyers?

Thanks much!

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Should I try to make this milk box "look nicer"?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »
You've still got 8 days left on your listing, so I wouldn't give up just yet. You've got a good low opening bid, so that's fine.
The only two points that spring to mind, the first being carriage, with a fairly low cost item I think I'd want to know how much that would be before making a bid. I don't want to win an item for $5 and pay $55 carriage, unless it's worth a lot more (only an example).
Second point, I don't think that I'd have advertised that I picked it up from the roadside. I'd probably be tempted to say something like   'I don't know its history...'
But JMO....

Welcome and Good Luck!

waywardangler

Re: Should I try to make this milk box "look nicer"?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:33:53 pm »
I agree with mario, get rid of the whole first paragraph ASAP because it makes your item worthless. Ok, so how much is it worth? About $10-15 so do not expect many if any bids over your 99c starting point. I have about 7 from our local dairy and have never spent more than $20 on any of them. Most were $5. They are usually galvanized metal so your box must have sat in water or something for a long time to get rust through the galvanized metal. Your best bet is to find out where the dairy was located and list it on the local craigslist for $15 thus saving you ebay fees and shipping hassle.