Author Topic: Another unique Religious piece, any takers on value/origin??  (Read 1746 times)

drododdsnends

• View Profile
Sorry I have posted maybe a few too many post, but this just excites me a lot! I'm 26 and just cant get enough of this!! This, I think is really unique, but it could just be a common piece? It is a slice of a tree trunk, about an inch or so thick, maybe a little more, with a picture of Jesus on it, and covered in a clear coat. It doesnt have any markings on the back, only a clip to hang it on a wall. Any info on this at all? Thanks guys!!

These are also a set of plates from my grandmothers wedding, she was married in the 50's, I think they are awesome! There is about 8 of these left, all in awesome condition!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Another unique Religious piece, any takers on value/origin??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:41:46 pm »
It's perfectly fine to post about all your items, everyone here doesn't mind one bit! I like the dishes, although I don't know much about them or when they were made. Late 40s to late 50s seems about right. The Jesus plaque looks 1970s-ish. I believe that was when items of that style were most popular. Maybe a bit earlier. I don't know, I wasn't alive in the 70s! Value would really only be to a religious collector, I would say $20 tops.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »
The tree slab is a common souvenir piece. Many are still sold today in gift shops near tourist attractions. I have one of Stand Rock from Wisconsin Dells hanging on the wall. If you like it, hang it on the wall and enjoy it. I have seen some of the earlier hand-painted slabs marked $75-$100. I passed up a nice painting of a beaver by a lake on a tree slab a few years ago because of the cost...$85. It was nice. I should have bought it. I still look for one like it.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »
Wayward, do you think this tree slab could be earlier than the 70s? Do you know when the handpainted ones started being made?

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »
Looks decoupaged to me so 70s to now like you mentioned. I have seen decal ones used from the 30s to now. I have also seen raised birch trees applied to decal scenes and then tree branches painted in. The old all hand-painted ones I have seen would have been like 1910-1920. I do not know when these were first made but they are cheap to produce and tourists like them so they stuck around all these years. Some of the early ones are prone to paint flaking because wood moves with the temp and humidity. Cracks develop, bark flakes off, decals or pictures crack with wood movement. The nicer condition they are, the newer they are or they were stored properly (a rare occurrence). I like the tree slabs depending on the subject. I look for them all the time. The folkier the better for me.

I think the value on this one would be $5 max. I do not think you could ever get $20 for it as many were made and survive.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:28 am »
     As for the Plates those are Anchor Hocking Laced Edge, appears to be Salad plates are they about 8" in Diameter.  These was made between 1959 - 1976, and lots I mean lots was made.  I have several Milk Glass Laced Edge I have been trying to sell, but they just don't move, seems everybody has some Laced Edge made by Anchor.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:56:40 pm »
My grandmother also had a wood plaque same as yours !!  Same pic !! Its a paper image that is decoupaged to the wood !!  If you look at the pic on the rt side where the light hits you can see the wood grain under the paper. If it were painted on you would not have that razor straight edge around it !! It is from around the 70`s !!  People were into crafts then !!

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:03 pm »
wow how awesome and cool is that!!