Author Topic: German Teddy  (Read 2471 times)

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
German Teddy
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:06:38 pm »
I'm guessing this musical Teddy is from the mid 40s to early 50s.  It's German and appears to be handmade by a private label - Florence Gentemann.  It is dressed in a clown suit and plays..."Send in the Clowns" music.  It's fully jointed and clown costume can be taken off.  See photos.  It's in good condition, except for a few scratches on the leather paws, only a few and some minor repairs to the costume.  Can anyone estimate the value?  I can provide more photos if needed.
Thanks!

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: German Teddy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »
Would that be Sondheim's 'Send in the clowns'?, if so, it can't be older than the 70's. Is there another song with the same title?

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »
You are sharp mario! This teddy cannot be older than 1973 when Send in the Clowns was written for the musical.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:35:39 pm »
Good point!  But I knew the family it came from and it doesn't make sense that it came from the 70's.  I'll do some more checking on details on my end as to the song and also the family.  If it is from the 70s, how does it shape up in terms of collector interest and value?  Does anyone recognize the maker?
Thanks.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
The maker is nowhere to be found online (at least by me). I would like to see a pic of the tag showing the maker's name.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:01:52 am »
Please see attached photo of tag.  If you want more, let me know. thanks.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:15:05 am »
I forgot there isn't a way to enlarge photos.  Hopefully these are better.

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:18:29 am »
Now that I see the tag and the box winder, I am firmly convinced this is later than 1973 when the music was penned. This is a bear made by a crafter with a tag that can be bought personalized with any name on it. The crafter that made this does very nice work but this is not an older bear by any means. Value would be what craft people sell these for minus the fact that it is used.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
Thanks very much, for this helpful information!