Author Topic: Wood bucket/pot with metal handles and chains  (Read 966 times)

KkksMm1

• View Profile
Wood bucket/pot with metal handles and chains
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:46:45 pm »
Does anybody have any idea what this might have been used for, and whether it is of any value?  It belongs to a friend, so I have no idea where it came from.

The majority of the piece is wood, with metal bands, and thee long metal handles that the chains would attach to.  I originally thought it may have been some type of cook pot that would hang on a tripod over an open fire, but since even the base is wood, now I'm not sure.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:55:08 pm by KkksMm1 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Wood bucket/pot with metal handles and chains
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »
Possibly a rice or water bucket. Wood would not have been used for cooking. Can you provide dimensions and maybe a larger, clearer photo?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KkksMm1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:19:20 pm »
I apologize for the pictures but these are the only ones I have that the owner sent me.  I did try and make one of the original ones a little bigger (and attached it) and also attached one other new one.

Dimensions are as follows:

Height: 1ft
Diameter: 21 3/4"
Circumference: 66"
Height of handles/posts: 9"
I believe the width of the large ring that the chains are attached to is around 5", and there are no visible joints in the loops of the chains

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »
Reminds me of buckets used to ferment foods/seeds etc.  The inside definitely shows a difference in color due to use....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!