Author Topic: Help with this settle  (Read 1477 times)

arnonick

• View Profile
Help with this settle
« on: June 18, 2011, 07:59:50 am »
Hi there, I wonder if any of you good people could help me with this Settle? It belonged to my Grandmother perhaps even my Great Grandmother and has been passed down to my Mum, She seems to think it was made in the 1900's and is Dutch in origin, thats all we have on it I'm afraid, it would be great if someone could shed some more light on this piece an also a rough value, Thanks in advance  :)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Help with this settle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:49:23 am »
It's hard to tell from the pics, but it seems to be around that age, and I'd say that it was Northern European.

Could you photograph the inside and a close up of the hinges? Also, have a good look at the rear, underside and interior panels to see if there is any maker's mark

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:47:42 pm »
Looks like it has a lip at the front edge. Did it ever have a cushion ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »
Beautiful piece!  Can you post a few more pics?  Inside...Closeups of hardware....backsid e and bottom!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

arnonick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:33 am »
Not sure if it used to have a cushion or not, would it have had one with the carving on the seat lid? The hinges have been replaced at some point in it's life, and I couldn't see any makers name/mark inside or underneath, I will get some more photo' sorted but the settle is at my mums, so next time I go over I will get them, Thanks again for taking the time to look it over

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:17 am »
Perhaps it could have been used with or without a cushion !! Not sure,, just wondered if it had a lip that held the cushion,, would not have been comfortable sitting on it !!  It is a beautiful piece !!