Author Topic: Big display case...  (Read 7997 times)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Big display case...
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:04 am »
Bottom right of picture is showing, ply wood grain.

waywardangler

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:45 am »
I still do not see it.  I see probably a 1/8" veneer ply on top of solid wood. I think plywood would have 3 or more plys depending on thickness.  The grain looks like plywood grain but I do not see the plys showing. I am looking at the closeup of the back where the doors slide. I may be thick as a brick tho.  Hosman would be able to tell exactly what type of wood it is.  Has she weighed in on plywood or no plywood?

Plywood has been made for years (mass production since at least 1907) and it alone will not determine age.  "Early modern-era plywood was typically made from decorative hardwoods and most commonly used in the manufacture of household items, such as cabinets, chests, desk tops and doors." http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=srv_med_new_bkgd_plycen

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:28:41 am »
Ply wood has been around since the Egyptians.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 12:55:38 pm »
D&B I was just fixin to write the same comment about how old plywood was......

Just for grins this page gives an overall history http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=srv_med_new_bkgd_plycen
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »
I think within the next week or so I'm going to clear this thing off, flip it around and take better pics. :)
There is a supporting piece of wood between the two glass pieces on the top. It had some disgusting green velvet along where the glass was held in place. But I ripped it all out cause it was just so rotten and falling apart.
I guess it doesn't really have feet. In the very first pic, if you click on it, the lower right "leg" is what I mean. Not really a leg, it's up on a short base. Tall enough to protect the glass from foot traffic, now that you mention it.
The only part of it that I believe is plywood is the inside bottom. The rest is wood. I actually think the inside bottom might be veneer. It's pretty shiny and has a hollow sound when you knock on it. Not really solid like plywood. It's a fairly convincing veneer though. As soon as I clear it all off I'll take better pics. Thanks for all the great info guys. That google pic looks almost exactly like mine. When is that pic from?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:29 am »
I do not see any plywood.  The bottom may be plywood due to its' grain pattern but I do see any edge plies on the available closeups. It may also be edge glued fir boards to make up the width.

The bottom is plywood, it is inset into the perimeter frame and thus the edges can not be seen. The 2 shelves that were originally with it were also plywood with a perimeter molding to stabilize them and to prevent items from being pushed off the edges. At least the 1 that I owned (which was a lot older than that one) and which I completed refinished and refurbished had a plywood bottom and shelves. 

And here is an old picture I just dug out in which you can partly see it, I don't want you to think I'm josting you.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 08:33:38 am »
It had some disgusting green velvet along where the glass was held in place. But I ripped it all out cause it was just so rotten and falling apart.

Hosman, I suggest that you replace that "disgusting green velvet" because it was there to act like a "shock absorber" to support the glass and/or in case of any "bumps", etc. in the frame so as to keep the glass from getting broken. One (1) wee widdle "bump" with a lot of weight on the glass ........ and "CRACK".

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:18 am »
Funny story. Kind of...
I went back into the antique room (where my coverlet was damaged) and I decided to just clean everything and rearrange. Make sure I didn't find any other critter evidence. When I was done, I took off the doors of this display case to clean the glass inside and out. When I was putting the last door back on, the little slider fell out of the bottom of the door. I never even noticed it because only a tiny part of metal was showing and the rest was up inside the door. Well, patents are in the most hidden places! The slider reads:
GARDEN CITY PLTG & MFG CO CHICAGO
PATENT 781710
The slider was patented in 1905.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=ysNbAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=patent:781710&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

I am looking for company info, so I can see when they went out of business. Then, I should have a good idea of the age of this thing. Of course, the company who made the slider probably didn't make the display case. But it will give me a time span. Funny how the info just kinda fell onto my lap. ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:35:14 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 04:36:58 am »
You are not saying the coverlet damage was a good thing are you?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 04:40:09 am »
lol No way! I'd rather not know this info and have my coverlet back in one piece.  :-\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 05:58:09 pm »
Sorry about the damage to your coverlet...but excited about your find.....tally ho to more research!!!!

Your patent information http://www.google.com/patents?id=ysNbAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!