Author Topic: Ami De Personne By Honore Daumier Lithograph  (Read 6015 times)

drododdsnends

• View Profile
Ami De Personne By Honore Daumier Lithograph
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »
I found this at a thrift store today and grabbed it up. It is a Lithograph from Honore Daumier. On the back is a letter of authentication. I have seen others on the internet, but all the pics I see none of them have what this one i found has. There is some type of Notory stamp of authentication. Like it has been Notorized. the embossed stamp reads "Society of Verification de la Nouvelle Gravure Internationale" "Authenticite"  I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not. I see the picture going anywhere from $40-$300??? Is it really that vast of a value or is there a distinct value? Please any help guys, thanks!! Here are some pics

waywardangler

Re: Ami De Personne By Honore Daumier Lithograph
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »
I have no idea what this is but the authentication stamp strikes me as something new from a limited edition firm like The Franklin Mint. If that is the case, the value evaporated.

drododdsnends

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:31 pm »
I found it laying in the "hat" section underneath every hat in the booth, like it was hidden for someone. The more and more I find searching, I do see the stamp on the back of each of them, and I see them priced anywhere from $150-$300. But I cant find any type of Appraisal price or value. I have some antique price guides on the way, so maybe they will have something inside them. Thanks guys!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:07:40 am »
Came across a few references to the "Societe".........

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fine-Art-3122/2008/12/deCarlo-lithograph.htm

"The, "Societe de Verification de la Nouvelle Gravure Internationale of New York and Paris" stamped the back of the LOW END plate signed works by Dali and others."

As well as.....

http://forum.findartinfo.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3223

"For the Société de vérification de la nouvelle gravure, I would say as one of the following quotes "it sounds pretty bogus"!
quote:
we have been asked this question before by other collectors. the company seems to have had an office once on madison avenue in new york, but does not seem to exist anymore. every time prints with this "certification" have been shown to us, they were in all cases reprints and not original lithographs. so the old rule applies again: "buyer beware".

and

quote:
I've never heard of any of the authentication stuff, but it sounds pretty bogus (The Society... was created by the Collectors Guild, Ltd., which was also selling the etchings, probably by mail order

The astuteness was in the fact this commercial Society also commissionned real prints of living artists. The trick "Verification" in the name was a good idea to set the client's mind easy after the great scandals of the years 1970, when it was said that thousands of fakes and extra prints were sold by vendors taking advantage of people credulity

Now, the quoted Society disappeared... not the credulity (see second lot of the list):
http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction48/8651.html
(the original=125 item+XXV on Japan paper, all signed and numbered)"

Despite checking through several screens of results no actual reference to the 'existence' of the society has appeared.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:03:16 am »
It does not matter what an item lists for, it only matters what an item sells for...if you are interested in selling that is. If not, then hang it on the wall and enjoy.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »
Run her name through google and see if her artwork is in the public domain. If so then anyone could make copies and sell them. I have heard of that collectors guild before and I think they do sell many reprints of artwork by mail order. Kind of a hit and miss bunch.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:53:42 am »
It reads:  Audit Firm of the New International Engraving of New York and Paris.  (Written in French!)

It is a commercialized stamp used on art work.  Looks great and Looks Official/Valuable...thus things sell well!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!