Author Topic: Age of Ladderback Rocker??  (Read 2119 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Age of Ladderback Rocker??
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »
When my mother passed away I brought quite a few items which belonged to her and my stepdad to my home and stored them.  I got this rocker out and cleaned it up somewhat.  I would like to get some opinions of the age of this.  I have heard that the length of the rockers can determine this, so much in front and so much in the back.  I think this may be the original finish of the wood, red and black.  I thought at first they may have repainted it but read another article which said some were finished in red and black.  Some of the other articles I brought back from their home date back to the Civil War.  Any ideas on this rocker?

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Age of Ladderback Rocker??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »
Although it has been painted, it certainly does look really old. It also looks to be in great shape. I don't think the red paint is original, there would be way more wear on the seat from so many years of tooshies sitting there. But maybe someone went over the old paint with the same colors. But I could be wrong. Are you able to post close up pictures, maybe of the joints or construction? Does it have any nails near the bottom that hold the rockers on? Beautiful chair, I would also like to know how old it is!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:39:17 pm by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:03 pm »
The seat has been replaced, it likely had a rush seat originally. To get an idea of what you're dealing with, look at how the legs attach to the rockers. Any nails or screws? Look for hardware. Look at the underside of the seat and see how the construction was done. Also look at the legs and ladder back panels to see if they are perfectly uniform (made by machine) or if there are little inconsistancies (made by hand) See if you can find evidence of multiple reupholsterings under the seat. This is such a popular old style, it could be anything from the 1840's to the 1940's.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »
All good questions.  The picture (s) make the paint look better than it actually is and the arm rests are almost bare.  I'll look it over more closely tomorrow. And the seat has been covered, looks like naugahide.  As I was cleaning it I noticed that the rockers are attached to the legs (is that the right term?) by 1/4" or 5/16" dowels.  A dowel is missing in the right back leg and has a screw in it but I think that was a repair, sloppily done.  I'll try to get some closeups tomorrow and get back with you.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:00:27 am »
Almost all the rockers I have seen in that style are pegged construction. My grandad had a similar one from the 30`s that was his personal chair. What might give you a clue to age is the paint that was used. Looks a bit like milk paint from the pics. Original painted pieces are fairly rare and were it me, I wouldn`t touch it as far as repainting !! The wear on the arms, back ect. is what I would expect and is what most collectors look for when determining value !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
Ive taken some close-up views and will try to post them.  As Mart mentioned its possible this is original paint and so far I believe it is.  Hosman mentioned that it looks to be in good shape.  It is.  Tight as a drum.  Like an old car that shows its miles and scratches but burns no oil and starts every time you turn the key. Would be such a pleasure to reduce it to component parts and refinish it to like new but like you say, collectors want them original.

That naugahyde seat cover is buttoned up so tight I can't even get my finger in anywhere to see what's under there.  If I just had the time I would remove it but until I know what I'm going to do with it I'll just leave it like it is.  Keep the comments coming, maybe we'll figure this out.       Jon

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »
That is very early construction method and different style from later rockers .  I would not be afraid to date it about the same time period.  Mid 1800`s !!  Take care of that one !! Wipe the dust with a barely damp cloth and thats all !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 06:50:32 am »
Thanks for the date estimate, Mart. I'd like to post a picture of a "kitchen" chair as I call it, which I moved with the same load as the rocker. It really resembles the construction of the rocker especially in the "uprights" the slats fit into. It had several coats of paint on it which I removed down to the first where I couldn't.  I took it to a professional restorer who got most of it off (it was light green in color) and I removed the rest with fine sandpaper and then finished it and made a seat for it.  The restorer said the original coat of paint was of Civil War era and was the kind made with a base of barnyard chicken droppings. (??)  Apparently the calcium made it hard to remove.  I would have left it original but my daughter wanted the chair and insisted it be refinished.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:35:02 am »
The slat back construction is common the these type chairs and it certainly could date from that period. But these dining chairs were made well into the 1900`s so its more difficult to date since all the original patina and paint have been removed. They are common chairs so value isn`t significant on it as a single chair. A set of 4 or 6 would be better if all original.
Your rocker shows some shadowing where the rocker attaches to the upright but I would not be too concerned about that. Could be natural shrinkage of the wood or an old repair or tightening. Its a nice piece of history and if I were you I would use it as it is and be proud that you have something from that era in American history. I am sure that rocking chair could tell some tales !!