Author Topic: Antique woodworker’s work bench  (Read 1656 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Antique woodworker’s work bench
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:39:24 pm »
I’ve had this work bench for quite a few years and am thinking about selling it and would appreciate any information anyone can tell me about its value, its age or its maker.

The name that is impressed into the wood of the right-hand end is ….. J.L.Wilkins

It has both a side vise and an end vise, both of which are made of wood, including the screw for opening and closing them. The only metal used in its construction are (see pictures) the bolts holding the base together, 5 bolts in the edge of the work surface and the screw flanges on the vices.

Its dimensions are: 83” in length (including the end vise), 25” wide (33” at the side vise) and 35” in height.

I’ve checked the Web and found several but nothing the same as mine and with prices that scare me, like this one : http://www.gnhw.org/member-services/classified-ads/2010/04/antique-woodworkers-bench/

And the dozen or so different ones pictured here on:  http://www.harpgallery.com/html/soldproducts.php?cat_id=52

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Antique woodworker’s work bench
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
Here is picture of the work surface.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »
Oh man, I LOVE it!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:03:53 am »
That is a great bench, Cogar ... and if I had one like that, and a good sized workroom... I'm sure that my woodworking skills would multiply tenfold (in my dreams!). Looks like they're being used as 'accent' pieces by interior designers, which is a shame, but at least they can still be used as intended.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:02:29 am »
That is one beautiful bench, cogar! The man that built it added touches you do not normally see on workbenches...the planed decorative edges on the vises and bottom shelf. Very nice and unusual. Unfortunately, these benches have become interior decorator pieces and are priced outside the user market. I have a friend that deals in antiques and he buys any wood workbench to sell to women to decorate their homes with (really? -go figure). He pays $400-500 at auction for small benches.

I will have to look in my American Wooden Plane Maker book for the Wilkins name because the details on your bench exhibit details normally found on wooden molding planes. New note: No American plane maker by the name of Wilkins listed.

As to price, I really have no idea but your bench would be at the top of the market in my opinion. Your bench is of higher quality than the one in the gnhw site you linked IMO.

I find it odd that this maker had a professional stamp made up with his name yet no other examples (apparently) of his work are on the internet. What state are you in cogar? Possibly a J.L. Wilkins may turn up in some local archive in your state.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:17:16 am by waywardangler »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:29:08 am »
Thank you all very much.

Your comments not only got me excited but quite pleased.

I always figure it was a good one ....... but not as good as you described it, Wayward.

I bought it at an estate auction, over 20 years ago, that was held in the NG Armory in Weston, WV, thus I don't have a clue where it came from. Central, or the center of WV, especially the cities of Elkins, Weston and Buckhannon were noted for several "big homes" that were built by the RR, coal, lumber and glass "barons" of the 19th Century.   

I have committed to putting it, plus a ton of other stuff, in an auction in Jane Lew, WV, on or about the 1st of September. This auction, conducted by Stewart's Auction Company, will be listed, with pictures and everything, on http://www.auctionzip.com/WV-Auctioneers/2490.html   that is, if nothing drastic happens to cause a change in plans.

Anyway, while looking for something else in my "computer notes" this morning I found the "link" that I had saved to a workbench that looks almost identical to mine.

http://vandm.com/19th-century-cabinet-makers-work-bench/1_266_product=4763.aspx

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »
The details on your bench are finer than the vandm link one. I hope the auction points out the finer points of your bench so top dollar is realized.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 04:51:27 am »
Cogar, is this a possiblity?

An Orthotics and Prosthetics site......testimoni als from customers from way back when.

http://www.amputee.com/vintage.php?more_group=44&more_block=vintage&more_item=4773

Near page bottom (alphabetically listed)

* J. L. WILKINS - Machinist, New Hanover Co., N.C. Below elbow.

The artificial limb which I bought of you April, 1902, has given perfect satisfaction in every respect.

My occupation is that of a machinist. I am engineer now with the Angola Lumber Co., of this city, and can attend to my work as well as the general run of engineers. May 4, 1904.