Author Topic: Antique toy appraisal please  (Read 3452 times)

Texasbadger

• View Profile
Antique toy appraisal please
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »
We just got through with a large militaria display at the local senior citizens center and the site had advertised sort of an "Antiques Roadshow" approach, we hoped it would bring in antique firearms and militaria,,,it didnt it brought in a few toys,,dolls, and some Parrish Prints which I will post on another thread.  We were not prepared for this and I took best photos I could with the new Smart Phone which is waaaay smarter than I.  Can someone assist with identification and valuation of thes two toys, a miniature gas pump and a Woodpecker toy.  Thanks guys.

waywardangler

Re: Antique toy appraisal please
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
The woodpecker toy is actually a toothpick holder. Bob the head down and the beak picks up a toothpick. Very common. Made in metal and in plastic. Some had decals on the side denoting "Souvenir of ______". I am not sure when they were first made but my grandparents had one in the late 50s. I have had both the metal and plastic versions. I think if you look on eBay you will find selling prices from $8 and up depending on condition and who is bidding.

The gas pump looks neat but I have not ever seen one so I am of no help there. This is unusual with the "Lead Free" label. That should date it to someone that collects petroleum items. I always thought gasoline had lead in it until fairly recently when "Unleaded" was mandated.

After looking at various gas pumps, this toy resembles a Wayne pump from the late 30s early 40s.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:56:34 pm by waywardangler »

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:00 pm »
Thanks Wayward, you can imagine our confusion when he have a Veterans Tribute Military display and the dolls, and doilies,,,and framed Parrish prints started showing up

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:33:32 pm »
The gas pump...is it made of resin or plaster?  They were selling repros that look like this at the import stores about 8 years back....

However, back in the late 40's and 50's they had what they called "gas station toys" that they would have...yes...at the gas station.  When it was still very influential to be the gas station attendant!  These were often "give aways" or after you did so much business you earned one!  Typically you will find Sinclair and other ones with their logos on them for marketing purposes....but for the mom/pop locations they had ones without logos.  This could possibly be one.  Was there any identifying info on the bottom on markers information?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:44:11 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:09 pm »
None visible and it was a light metal, thanks for the info!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
Does it look like it is missing a piece on top?  There is a raised area with a hole?  Typically where a round illuminated sign would be?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »
Yes he remembers it being there when he was a kid, hes looking for it.  Would have helped knowing what brand was advertised

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:59:13 am »
Bump...... :)  still working on this one Texasbadger

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »
I think the color of the pump may shed some light on the brand and what globe went on top.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:34:26 pm »
OK guys have been searching toy pumps on line & in my antique toy books and have come up with not one even close to the look of this one!!  :-\  Just throwing this out there but could this have been a salesman's sample?? Looks like pumps Bennett made during the 40s-50s  this pump just does not have the toy look of all the toy pumps I have gone through today. From all I have seen I would say not a toy.

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:53:06 pm »
Yes, wendy, I think you are right. I have been looking at many of them also and it closely resembles a Bennett 766. The colors might be a faded out Richfield brand.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:41 am »
Thanks for the work troops!  Im reorganizing our next effort with a broader knowledge base, was not expecting what came in.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:15 am »
Hope all goes well !!  Nice items !!