Author Topic: Is This An Original WaterColor, Lithograph, Print or Reprint?  (Read 24123 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
I recently bought this watercolor painting at a local thrift store for $3.00. I liked the picture and wood frame/double matting and thought that even if it wasn't an original watercolor painting or limited print, etc... that I could still use the frame and matting for other pictures I have. The picture measures about 10 inches wide by 7 inches high and the frame measures about 15 inches wide by 12 inches high.

What I would like to know is how can I tell if it's an original watercolor without removing it from the frame (it has a paper sealed backing on it). Also, does anyone have an idea of who the artist is (full name and anything about them), the age of the picture and an approximate value of the work?

There is a signature written in pencil on it with the first initial and last name of the artist. I've done some searching on the internet but haven't had any luck with the name which I think is "S Stephenson". I'm thinking the vintage may be 60's or 70's but don't know for sure. I don't want to remove the paper sealed backing if it's an original since it keeps out any moisture (humidity) among other things.

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="735" height="2021" border="0

" width="735" height="570" border="0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:05:31 am by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Is This An Original WaterColor, Lithograph, Print or Reprint?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:23:08 am »
This work is a typical one and has been used many times over in classroom settings !! It could be an original by someone that was taking a class and framed it for themselves or since most of these images are freely used,,it may be one that was purchased at a Dollar Store or such. Worth is about what you paid for it !!  Sorry !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:17:06 am »
Look closely at the paper it is on. Watercolor paper has to be absorbant in order to hold the paint. If the paper looks lumpy, bumpy and absorbant you could have an original painting. If it is smooth like the page of a book you definitely do not, as the paint would run right off. But for $3 you got a really nice frame and mat and it's a good-looking print!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:59 am »
mart, I like the Dollar Store, I frequent it often! I can assure you (and I'll bet my paint by numbers set on it) that I've never seen this in the Dollar Store but thanks for the input!!  :)

talesofthesevenseas, thanks for your response! The paper does look lumpy, bumpy and absorbent. It also looks to be original watercolor paper with the small bumps on it. If you take a flashlight to it and shine it at an angle onto the painting you can see the tiny shadows of the bumps from the flashlight through the glass. This may be a good way to confirm the paper type through the glass although I don't know if they use the same type of paper for lithographs and other types of reproduction works.

Anyways, on the back of the picture frame, the frame shop name that framed the picture is stamped with a phone number but no area code. A friend of mine noted that years ago a lot of people didn't put an area code with their phone number. Sometimes it's little clues like this that can help you verify a certain fact like age, origin, etc... about an item your interested in. I bet just about everyone has a few little clues they use. Say, that reminds me, I need a few things from the Dollar Store! How long has it been around anyways? Gotta run!

Thanks,
Kevin

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:28 pm »
It looks 1970s to me.  The paper on the back can be removed with no decrease to the value of the picture. You can easily apply another sheet of kraft paper and seal it after. To date it, the 5-digit Zip code system started in 1963 so it was framed after that. The date it was framed has almost nothing to do when the picture was painted. If you are looking for a S. Stephenson, I would start in Brunswick, Maine where it was framed.

As to value, I buy art because I like to look at it. If I do not like to look at it hanging on my wall, it ends up in a closet and I do not have any closets that are empty to hold pictures. If you like the picture and you like it on your wall, value is a distant concern in my opinion.  My other opinion is just because it is an original does not mean it has value. Value comes with fame, name, demand, scarcity, condition, location, subject, and probably a host of other factors. JMO.

I do not like the Dollar Store unless I am looking for something that costs a dollar. I have bought
some good useable items at the Dollar Store for a $1 but when they start going $2, $3, etc., I can do better elsewhere.

Addenda: There is a Sandra Stephenson in South Freeport, ME that is about a 12 minute drive to Brunswick. She is 75. Maybe she is the painter?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:13:17 pm by waywardangler »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum , KevinM .

In addition to the above posted tips , I'll give you a fool-proof one :

Examine your item with a 10x loupe (or higher magnification) , through the glass sheeting covering your painting , and look for brushstrokes (esp. those that are overlapping brushstrokes underneath/on top of others) in the paint .
If you can clearly see them , you can narrow it down to two possibilities :
the painting is an original , or is an 'embellished' (hand-painted details on top of a 'print') print (this is not to say that any 'original watercolor' is not a copy of another painting that the artist copied , such as paintings titled/described as "after" a given artist) .

Many copies have been made of tons o' paintings , including those printed on 'watercolor paper' , so take your time & examine all of the paint in/on your item .... if it all shows clear brushmarks , you'll be rather close to defining this item as a hand-painted watercolor .

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:01:37 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:34 pm »
I am a Dollar Store regular and mean no disrespect to them !! But I taught art for years and took some classes that used similar images. The simplicity of it makes it ideal for beginners !!  Many reprints have also been made of these !!

Forgot to add,, if there is a frame shop near you or gallery, take it to them and let them remove the dust cover so you can look at it. A 10 in. by 7 in. might cost $5. to replace it and you can examine it carefully. Most good galleries should be able to tell you if he is a listed (known) artist !!  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:15:31 pm by mart »