Author Topic: Janney, Semple Hill Co. double barrel Invincible 12g  (Read 4933 times)

Kevin06

• View Profile
Janney, Semple Hill Co. double barrel Invincible 12g
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »
New info on and old gun that was found in a barn here in Texas it has INVINCIBLE down the middle of the two barrels  on the side it says Janney, Semple Hill Co Minneapolis Minnisota ive looked for info on this gun and so far seems like its pretty old pretty rare not much info on it if anyone could help lemme know if i have  a treasure or a just some house decor thanks.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Re: Janney, Semple Hill Co. double barrel Invincible 12g
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »
Janney started out as a wholesale hardware store in Minnesota.  The "invincible" refers to a barrel upgrade that was an option in shotguns like this.  I'm no expert, but a quick search of Janney double barrel shotguns reveals that even fancy ones go for little money ($100 for one with an inlaid silver hunting dog, for example).  Likely, it was a gun you could purchase from the Janney hardware catalog.  I've got a catalog-bought black-powder double-barrel shotgun, and it's worth maybe a hundred bucks.  The "invincible" upgrade makes it a little more heavy duty -- mine is the el-cheapo stock catalog gun, one known for a barrel so cheaply made that it often exploded or twisted with regular use.

Kevin06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:39 am »
Thanks for the info kinda skeptical now earlier after i posted this i went to a few of the bigger pawn shops in my town and i went to a Gun Store and two pawn shops never heard of the brand of gun but the Biggest Pawn Shop and the Gun Store toldme to get as much paper work i possibly can and take this piece to a gun show  the pawn shop said if i wanted to sell it that the highest they could go was $1500 on it and that they personally wouldnt buy it because they wouldnt be able to resale because it cost to much and this gun would take a certain buyer that this town doesnt have much of i dunno i dont believe imma get rid of it makes a great fireplace
 Shelf decoration

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:24 am »
That is what I think is called a "wire-twist" barrel which was made by wrapping wire around a mandrel and fusing or welding it together.

As a young teen I use to hunt with a dbl-12 like that only it was a Fox brand ..... and I believe my Dad said that it was "bought with tobacco stamps" ..... by purchasing a particular brand of tobacco and saving up enough of the "stamps" to claim it as a "prize" from the tobacco company.

And CuriousCollector is right, those type barrels are not safe for using/shooting the newer high powered Express, Magnum, etc. or 3" shot-shells. My father told me to never shoot anything other than the low-powered Remington 12-ga Shure Shot shells.

I shot hundreds of shell thru that ole Fox and it worked just fine, but the "killing range" is not as great when using those low powered shells.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:24:48 am »
Kevin, me thinks the person at the pawn shop was just "blowing smoke" at you because your gun is not worth $1,500 unless you can prove it belonged to some famous Texan .... circa 1920-30's ........ or ...... unless you can find someone who hunted with one like that when they were a young boy ...... or .... find two or more people who are desperately wanting it.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:42:09 am »
But it IS a lovely "wall-hanger" -- you know, mount it above the fireplace.  Double-barrel shotguns are, to me, very elegant.  I love the long, lean look of them, more so than the clunky silhouette of a modern pump-action shotgun (although a double-barrel doesn't have that intruder-scaring "chk chk" noise!).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:48:47 am »
I would suggest that you only use it for a wall hanger if its a damascus twist barrel !!  Thery have a bad habit of coming unwound !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:40:48 am »
That's the word I couldn't remember, ..... damascus.  ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:18 am »
LOL !! Sometimes it takes me half a day to think of a word I know as well as my name !!

That's the word I couldn't remember, ..... damascus.  ;D ;D

Kevin06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:37:18 pm »
Thank you for yalls knowlege  wall hanger it is  im a rooky 23 yr old into the rustic old school lok so i think this willmake a cool piece to add to the fireplace thanks again

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »
I checked the Blue Book of Gun Values and GunTraders guide and your gun isn`t even listed so about $100. is a correct price on it !!  Too bad it wasn`t a Parker Invincible,, those are pricey !!!