Author Topic: Momoyama Stoneware 40 Piece Set  (Read 4588 times)

zackb101

• View Profile
Momoyama Stoneware 40 Piece Set
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:02:07 pm »
While cleaning out my garage I came upon a box that said "Imported by consumer distributing", I realized this business went under in the early 90's, so I decided to take a look inside the box.

Inside the box was a full 40 piece set of "Momoyama Stoneware". It says "Momoyama Stoneware", "freezer to oven", "dishwasher safe", "hand painted", and "made in Japan" on the bottom of each piece. on the bottom of all the pieces.

All of the pieces are in perfect condition with no cracks or chips and the set includes cups, bowls, small plates, plates with floral design on them, and bigger plates with a floral design on them. The set was in its original packaging (the consumers distributing box).

I cannot find any pictures of this exact set or any of these exact pieces online, although I did find a single plate with a different design on ebay going for 5 British pounds (about $7), although I don't trust ebay for comparison.

Researching the Momoyama Period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azuchi%E2%80%93Momoyama_period) shows that these are probably really old.

I'm going to post a link to the photo album of the set, because I can't post enough pictures as attachments , sorry for the horrible quality, the close ups are to show the design of the pieces.

This is the link to the photos: http://www.photobucket.com/momoyamaset

Could somebody please give me an estimate as to what this set is worth, that would be really appreciated! Thanks so much!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Momoyama Stoneware 40 Piece Set
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »
   What you have is a modern Stoneware set.  Momoyama would not have anything to do with the period.  These as made post 1940's for sure, just the Dishwasher statement would indicate that.  Based on the style I would say more likely 1970's era.  I can't find any infomation on Momoyama as a company possibly a japanase port company.  Basically as a set they would have little value overall, so many sets available and to find someone who will really like it could be taunting.  Selling as individual pieces would be the way to make it overall more valueable.  As for Ebay being a gauge on value it works good if you look only at the competed listing.

zackb101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:43:14 pm »
If I were to sell this as a set on eBay, what do you think I'd be safe with setting the price as. Thanks so much! Also what would each piece be individually?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:03:30 pm by zackb101 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:05:39 pm »
   On Ebay, personnally I would not sell the whole set together.  The weight and the packing of the item will make the cost of shipping at least $25.00 not to mention at least a good hour of your time and $10.00 at least worth of packing material.  However if you wish to sell the whole set on Ebay.  I would set my price at $50.00 start bid and see what happens.  It sounds like the set did not cost you anything so if it sells at that price you maybe make $20.00 in the end, but if you get more then one bid, you win more.  The only thing I can add is that if it does not sell you will be at a lost for fees.  Personnally I think you will have to list this a few times before you get bid.  Do you have a Ebay Store, This option may be a better option for you, you can set a buy it now price for $100.00 with free shipping and it will stay on there for 30 days, better chance of finding a buyer.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »
While I agree with what ironlord says, I might try your local craigslist first. It might net you a better price and no shipping hassle. Shipping a full set would be horrendous as ironlord said.

zackb101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:23:32 pm »
Thank you for the replies guys. I'll sell the items individually, I'm just stuck on whether to do an auction or buy it now, and how much for each.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »
Look around the net for basic prices of stoneware from that era that will give you a ballpark, but since you have no investment in the items, maybe a .99 start and enough to cover the shipping might be the way to go.  But overall I would not expect much movement on most pieces.  Tea Cups and Serving pieces will do better, while plate will be around for some time.  I think as wayward mentioned might yield the best results.  Remember each piece will take a good 1/2 hr. at least to take pics, write the post and etc, not to mention additional time for packing.  I have been learning that if the item is really not special, then when you add time in the equation you will lose.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44:30 am »
I agree !!  Stoneware has never been a big seller !!  Just too much of it going around !! A garage sale would be a good way to go as well !!