Author Topic: 1930's dresser pair (or older?)  (Read 1899 times)

Mike_

• View Profile
1930's dresser pair (or older?)
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:22:04 pm »
Ok, so I was originally told these were 1800's but perhaps that was an exaggeration (my GF really liked them so the sales guy may have lied to me).  But, now I am looking to sell these and need to know more about them and what they are worth (so I am not lied to again).  There is a link to some pics below.  I cannot find any markings (maybe I don't know where to look?).

http://photobucket.com/Mike_and_Helena

Thank you

waywardangler

Re: 1930's dresser pair (or older?)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 01:29:40 pm »
Pics of the construction would be helpful...such as drawer construction, wood type, back, close-up of feet, close-up of drawer pulls, any markings whatsoever, etc. Many members are very knowledgeable on furniture periods but they also need clear construction pics to determine age.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »
Wayward is right, we need clear pics as close as possible of the whole piece as well as of construction of the drawers the hardware ect !!  On first glance it does look 30`s late empire but with additional pics could be 1800`s as well. Many later pieces are revived from older styles !! Just need details to determine which one yours might be !!  Its most likely 30`s but,,you never know !!

Mike_

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:33:34 pm »
Thank you for looking and trying to help.  I have added more pictures.  I still cannot find any markings on them to identify who made them.  The album link is:

http://photobucket.com/Mike_and_Helena

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »
Forgot to say take a pic of the back and how its attached !!  I would say that your piece is from 1880 to 1900 !! Veneering is fairly thick looking at the side view of the drawer. Generally the thicker the veneer, the older the item is.  Yours looks 1/16th inch which would have been typical !! Hardware is all original it looks like. Don`t see signs of it having been replaced and finish is original.
If you are looking for a value on it, its not a lot , chests like this are common and are low priced. You may never know who made it for that reason. Rarely are they marked but occassionally you might find numbers on the back.

Mike_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »
The veneer does look about 1/6", the back has "NO 855" on it.  I assumed this was just a number put on it from some auction.  Does it mean something?

Mike_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:00:31 pm »
The back has a piece of something that looks like an early version of plywood.  It is 5/16" thick and nailed. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:29:05 am »
I think your title was right when you said 1930's dresser pair.

They look to me to be what is often called "Depression" era furniture. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:21:10 am »
Number is probably a style number and really is not important !!  Like I said it could be 30`s, I am just going by what I can see and since the pics are on photobucket and it takes forever to download for me,,that is not a lot !!  No matter when it was made, value is small, maybe $150. on a good day !! This style is just not popular in todays market. Even when I had my shop, which was years ago, it was difficult to sell !!