Author Topic: Vintage Finger puppets..who do they represent?  (Read 1350 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Vintage Finger puppets..who do they represent?
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:01 am »
Hello all, it's been a while since I have been here, my computer took a dive, and now I'm back in operation..lol

I have a few finger puppets, and I can not figure out who they represent, if they represent any people at all. They look like familliar characters, but that might just be my mind playing tricks on me...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Finger puppets..who do they represent?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:59:34 am »
Pull up the cloth skirts and see if there are any manufacturer's marks on the backs of the necks. These look familiar to me too, I think we had this kind of thing in the early 1960's although I am betting by the style of the one on the left that these are Asian and were intended for sale in Japan or elsewhere and not in the USA.  I would think these would date somewhere from 1940 through the early 1970's. The skirts look like replacements. Very cute!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:44:56 pm »
Thanks tales  ;D. I looked and there are no marks on them anywhere. I too think the skirts are not original.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:26:03 pm »
They look like oriental comic characters to me from the same time frame as The Yellow Kid and Barney Google. Not sure if they are specific characters or just a general form. I would browse Hake's Americana and see if anything in those collectibles looks familiar.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »
I had never heard of that site before wayward. Thanks for sharing it is a really cool website.  ;D