Author Topic: eagle emerging from egg ceramic  (Read 1482 times)

rmscott56

• View Profile
eagle emerging from egg ceramic
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »
The pictures is a ceramic (I think) of an eagle emerging from an egg. It was my great grandmothers handed down in the family. There is a signature on is that I think is Lasler or Pasler or Zasler.

Does anyone recognize it, or tell me anything about it, or the value.

Thanks Richard

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: eagle emerging from egg ceramic
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
Appears to be more like Glass or Resin.  Ceramic would most likely have a relief hole in it, and I see what appears to be a seam line from a Mold.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »
With the high gloss that appears to be glass to me. Name could be Zagler also. Can't tell if the yellow is original or painted on later. Same with the name. Size of the object would be nice to know.

Hahahaha...it says Easter on the side! Sometimes we try so hard and it is staring us right in the face. ;D  This one is very similar but a different pose. http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-449476/old-milk-glass-egg-emerging-chick-easter-gillinder.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:59:52 am by waywardangler »

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »
More info ...http://publications.kaleden.com/articles/3148.html

"Milk glass was the glass of the day, whether it was plain or decorated. Each spring, Gillinder turned its attention to the season of Easter. Blown milk glass eggs of all sizes were made and then decorated with flowers, chicks, rabbits and sayings. The eggs might also be embossed with an animal, cross, horseshoe or sayings. Some of the eggs also have a flat bottom to keep them from rolling.

It was a very popular custom to give a special egg to the woman in his life, whether it was his mother, sister, wife or grandmother.

Egg sizes range from 1 ½" to about 7 ½" long. To retain their top value today, the eggs must have their top value today, the eggs must have their original paint in good condition. Since the eggs were all cold painted (not fired), it does get extremely hard to find them with original paint.

The painting on each egg was usually really detailed. A very popular decoration of the day must have been violets painted around an embossed cross, since there seems to be a lot of eggs with this design.

Another design was flowers around a horse shoe. Other paintings on the eggs include chicks hatching from eggs and rabbits in the grass.

The embossed eggs are the most desired with their detailed painting. The top of an egg can have a chick or rabbit emerging out of it like it is hatching. Another egg may have a basket of eggs, a chick in the grass or Easter greetings. The rarest have an angel or cherub. For some reason, most of the embossed eggs are the ones with the flat bottoms so they don't roll when displayed."

http://www.bullworks.net/ffg/gillinder/gillinder.html
Gillinder & Sons was founded in 1861 by William Gillinder. It originally operated under the name of Franklin Flint Works. When William's sons, James and Frederic, joined the company in 1867, the name changed to Gillinder & Sons. The company endeared themselves to the public in 1876 when they built an exhibition glass factory on the fairgrounds of the American Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Here they demonstrated their glass making abilities and sold souvenirs to the visitors. In the early 1900s the company moved to Port Jervis, New York, where it operated as Gillinder Brothers. Today the Port Jervis factory is still family operated, doing business under the name Gillinder Glass. You can visit them online at www.gillinderglass. com. Be sure to visit their online retail store online at www.gillinderglasss tore.com

The chick emerging from the egg dates to 1889.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:00:21 pm by waywardangler »

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:10 pm »
Being that your chick/egg does not have "Easter" embossed on the side and the style is different than the ones I have been finding, may mean that yours is a period knockoff and not made by Gillinder Glass. I would contact them and see what they have to say.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:22 pm »
Good job on that one Wayward!
What a cool little item you have there RMScott56, it must have been very special to your great-grandmother for it to be saved so carefully all these years. Keep that in your family, it's a treasure, especially now that you know a little more about it.

...and I like that new avatar IronLord!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:57 am »
Thanks tales, had to put up a more recent pic of me.