Author Topic: Antique handmade Indian Tribal Chair - Looking for info  (Read 2998 times)

Spooled17

• View Profile
Antique handmade Indian Tribal Chair - Looking for info
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »
Hello, iv spent a couple hours searching for a chair like this on google and I did not find a thing.  I have a handmade indian tribal chair and im looking for some information.  Looks like its made out of leather, hand carved wood, rope, and a couple small tacks.  The leather looks like it has some pictures burnt into it.  Any help is apreciated!! Thanks
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:55:08 pm by Spooled17 »

Spooled17

• View Profile
Re: Antique handmade Indian Tribal ,
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 03:32:31 pm »
some more pics

Spooled17

• View Profile
Re: Antique handmade Indian Tribal Chair - Looking for info
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:44:25 pm »
Some more pics, anyone know anything about this chair? Any help is apreciated!!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:23:36 am »
Is any history known on this chair ?? Did you purchase it or is it a family piece??  If its is Native American must be fairly new with houses in the picture on the back.

Spooled17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:51:37 am »
Hello! My father grabbed it from my great grandmothers attic 20 years ago.  She passed away before he asked any questions about it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:23 am »
OK,, What makes you think its a tribal chair. Cant see enough in the pics to tell much except overall shape !!  I have seen some older ranch furniture styled the same as yours. Need some better pics. Even on enlarging these pics detail is blurred !!

Spooled17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:49:28 am »
Well I have seen some chairs like this called "Tribal" so it was just a guess.  The chair has been sitting in an attic for years and im afraid to clean the leather, what is safe to clean this with? Sorry for the blury photos all I have is my phone.  Maybe after cleaning you can see the detail better.  On the back of the chair is a man indian on a horse on the left, with a female indian which looks like she is cooking on the right.  Also on the bottom of the seat (where you sit) is a house with trees all around it. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:48:26 pm »
Just a soft damp cloth would be OK !! Not wet,, just damp !!  It looks more like a folk art piece to me !!  I have never seen tribal art done in such a manner. Rather child like from what I can see !! Cannot see why houses would be in a Native American piece since it was not part of their heritage !! Usually their art depicts their ancestry and/or tells a story with symbolism !! 

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:28 pm »
I agree that these are not typical Native American tribal art subjects nor depictions, especially if one is thinking the chair is old.  Many Natives lived in western-style houses, especially when they were trying to "be white" and not lose their lands and religions -- see history of the Cherokee in the east.  But the depictions are not that good, nor do they have any power symbols (as one would associate with a chair for an elder or leader). 

This is not to say this was not made by a Native American person -- after all, no art form is static over several hundred years, and the skill of many native artisans is as influenced by white culture, European-style art schools, and white gallery owners, as it might be by native customs or traditional symbols.  But this would mean the piece is not all that old.

I'm thinking it's more folk art, too. 

Spooled17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »
Hey Guys! I took this chair to 3 local antique dealers over the past couple of weeks and none of them knew anything about the chair. All stated it would probably be around 200 years old.  Any ideas on how to get more info??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:19:26 pm »
Had some problems with this site a while back and lost all your pics I think !! Unless the dealers are experienced in native American art/ furniture,, I would take anything said with a grain of salt.  It might cost a few dollars but check the Kovel site online. They do appraisals and might be able to tell you what you want to know !!  At least they have resources to do it accurately !!