Author Topic: German Beer Stein finds  (Read 1288 times)

tokashikibob

• View Profile
German Beer Stein finds
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:42:40 am »
Hey y'all,
     I went to a nearby antique auction with the intention on winning 2 Imperail German military steins.  However there were some big fish there who also had the same idea.  I had a limit that was soon passed so I was sad to see them go as I collect military collectables.

I did do some internet research before heading to the auction as I was worried about fakes and values,  and there were other steins that were part of the items auctioned off from this collection.  These went pretty cheap so I ended up winning the bidding on the others.  One is a musical stien, and I belive 3 are Mettlach.    Is there any referance for the numbers to prove this?  Two of the older ones do not have a company stamp just the numbers and what the net says are the fill lines under the measure.

-The blue and white stein is marked Western Germany #1400 and has a part of a cartoche with the bottom letter H
- Tan glazed stoneware with German saying has a old $265 price tag in the lid that nobody saw, and is numbered 1130 with fill mark
- Tan painted litho  is marked 20 and has the fill mark
- painted relief one is a music one with a sticker that is ripped on the bottom that says Einxxxxxxxxx Hochzeits-xxxxschxx is marked Germany on the handle and numbered 338 on the body.

Any help in makers and values will be welcome.

Semper Fi,
Bob
www.okinawarelics.com

tokashikibob

• View Profile
Re: German Beer Stein finds
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:48:06 am »
Forgot the pics

tokashikibob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:49:52 am »
This is the one that had the old price tag in the lid

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:27:04 am »
Wondering if your 'priced' one is a Mettlach as opposed to Mettlack? 

Some listed here on a Stein dealers site, you might find a similar style to help with dating (asking prices are quite 'nice'  ;) ) They have more categories under Old as well, so those might help out identifying some of your others.

http://www.steincenter.com/stein/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=0&idCategory=50&page=1

steincollector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:14:23 am »
Hello Bob,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but neither of the 3 steins are Mettlachs (or better said: produced by Villeroy & Boch in Mettlach, Germany).

The one marked "Made in West Germany" obviously dates from after WW-2 and is not considered an antique stein. The mark you describe sounds similar to a company called Eckhard & Engler. The one with the price tag is antique, produced around 1890-1910. The music stein has most likely been produced after 1945 for the tourist en export industry and thus found it's way to the States.
The one with the transfer print shows a typical farmer's scene. I do not have enough information on that one yet to give you an idea of when it was made and by whom.

If you have pictures of the base markings I may be able to identify them better for you.

Prosit!
Paul