Author Topic: Antique Firebucket - any market  (Read 1584 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Antique Firebucket - any market
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:02 pm »
I am going to doing some picking tomorrow and the guy has an antique fire bucket that has me intrigued. It is made by Buck and Hickman from England. No idea what he is asking for it, but does anyone have any idea if there is a market for something like this? I always like to figure out what I can sell something for before I find out what the price is, keeps me a little more objective (Yup, stops me from throwing money down on bad decisions!)

Sorry about the picture, it is all I have.

waywardangler

Re: Antique Firebucket - any market
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
I was excited until I saw the pic. I was thinking leather fire bucket. Those are hot! (intended)  ;D
I have no idea about the bucket you posted though. Good luck!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:36:38 am »
I was thinking the same... leather. When doing some genealogy I was researching some Campbell's. He had helped pass a law that all residents of the town must have a fire bucket on their porch. This was in New Jersey in the 1700's - post Rev War I believe
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »
Just thought I would post a photo of my great-great-great-great-grandfather's leather fire bucket. You can see it on display in the Sarah Bradlee Fulton Room of Royall House in Medford MA. His name was Nathan Wait and you can see his name on the bucket. (Lower photo, right side)

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
Beautiful example T!! 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:37:51 pm »
Yes, Tales, that is a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l fire bucket. They sure knew how to make something humdrum look snappy back then.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:26:33 pm »
LIke these.  My good friends g grandfather and grandfather and father were all firemen and items like this have been carried down in their family!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:55:20 pm »
Yep, I think it is a wonderful bucket too. KC that is awesome that you still have these in your family. I got to see it in person when I went to Medford earlier this summer. Nathan Wait was the son-in-law of my Rev War ancestors Sarah Bradlee Fulton and John Fulton. Nathan has his own claim to fame, in 1805 he led the town of Medford in the rescue of a fugitive slave named Ceasar Anderson. The two chairs in the photo were a gift to Sarah from George Washington. After Sarah delivered dispatches (John was sick and so she stepped up and delivered them under cover of darkness) Washington honored her with a visit to her home. When he was leaving, his horse threw a shoe and while it was being shod he saw these chairs and had them sent to Sarah's home for the children. Sarah and John had ten children and I am guessing that the kids were on their best behavior that day! The dress above was one of Sarahs. All of these are at Royall House in Medford.

Antiqueaholic in recovery