Author Topic: Beer Stein Experts: Prussian/German "Reichswappen" Stein + Gimbel Brothers  (Read 2763 times)

ryante

• View Profile
I got ahold of this one today and I nearly drove myself crazy looking it up because the only thing it says on the bottom is: "Germany - Gesetzlich Geschutzt" or "Protected by law" "Trademarked" etc. However you want to translate it. The only other marking was the number 1269.

Long story short, I finally found some answers after about 3 hours of searching (and I'm good at searching).

Here is the info I got:

"Very nice stein decorated with 5 panels. In 4 panels is a shield, in the front panel is the Imperial Eagle and the year 1871. That was the year in which the so-called Reichsgründung took place, the formation of the German Empire. The empire was formed by Bavaria, Saxony, Württemberg and Prussia. The panels on this stein represent each of these states.
The verse on this stein reads:"Einig und gleich, treu Kaiser und Reich".
Producer Steinzeugwerke named this stein "Reichswappen"."

The questions I have:

1. Does anyone know the exact, or a closer general date to when it may have been produced?
2. Supposedly it was originally sold by Steinzeugwerke, but it has a tag from Gimbel Brothers. I'm sure the answer is an obvious one but I would like some more insight on this as well.
3. I'd like to know the general value, but I understand if that is prohibited here (sorry, I'm new). I'll be having it appraised either way.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to bugging you for more answers!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Beer Stein Experts: Prussian/German "Reichswappen" Stein + Gimbel Brothers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:05 am »
After reading the following information from Steinmarks, I would make the guess that it was offered for sale between 1910-11 and 1917. I would base those dates on the assumption that German steins were not a popular item in America after a Declaration of War was passed.

Steinzeugwerke Höhr-Grenzhausen GmbH
Höhr & Grenzhausen, Hesse-Nassau, Prussia. (now Höhr-Grenzhausen, Rhineland Palatinate).
A sales consortium, created and directed by Paul Merkelbach in 1910/1911, consisting of Simon Peter Gerz I, Reinhold Hanke, Reinhold Merkelbach & Walter Müller. 
Walter Müller is not known to have supplied any product via Steinzeugwerke, due to the parlous state of his finances. It is known that he had left the organisation by the
19th January 1912, since this was the publication date of the first Steinzeugwerke catalogue, in which he did not figure. 
It has been reported that Reinhold Hanke left the consortium in 1913, leaving only Simon Peter Gerz I and Reinhold Merkelbach. Reinhold Merkelbach’s kilns were at their best producing the "Kölnisch Braun" products, as well as "Braun Geflammte" finishes, whereas the kilns of Simon Peter Gerz I were better suited for the "Blue-Gray" saltglazed finishes. Then Simon Peter Gerz I quit in 1918, leaving only Reinhold Merkelbach with the Steinzeugwerke company. The moulds that had been used by three of the four original contributors stayed with Steinzeugwerke, and effectively became the possession of the firm of Reinhold Merkelbach. It is doubtful whether Walter Müller’s moulds were included in this collection, since nothing was ever produced from them. Walter Müller’s assets were sold to Steinzeug-Industrie G.m.b.H. before 1918. Steinzeugwerke ceased operating in 1921, and was wound up in 1936.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:00:56 am »
Since Gimble Brothers was a U.S. Dept. store,, they would have purchased these in bulk from the maker for sale on the American market !! So essentially the stein is an import,,much like Pier One imports the items they sell !!  Just an earlier one !!  Its a very nice stein !!

ryante

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:47:30 am »
Do you think there is any added value to it given that it has the Gimbel Brothers sticker on it?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:58:48 am »
I think they are out of business aren`t they ?? (We didn`t have their stores where I live in Texas)  So it could add some value !!  Have you looked to see what ebay has listed ?? Its fine to give an approx value on this site and most people have that in mind when they visit here,, but I have no idea what the value would be !! Its npot exactly my area !!

ryante

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:32:29 pm »
Yes, the are out of business. They operated for 100 years from 1897 to 1987.

I haven't been able to find another one on ebay.

I have only even been able to find even one other on a stein collection website, where is where I got this information.

However, and those of you who know this area more than me may know the answer to this, I notice the design is the same, but the coats of arms appear in different places than those on the site I found, as well as a picture of the stein from a 1900 catalog by the company.

Other differences are the handle on the lid, and the design on the handle.

Here is the link to that site.

http://www.mysteincollection.com/catalogue/view_item.php?art_ID=2361

I heard back from the guy that made that post on that site and he said he believes that the stien was produced by Reinhold Hanke, who was a contributor Steinzeugwerke’s sales catalog.

I'm hoping to get ahold of a good appraiser to get the full info on this. I'm not even really worried about the value that much. It seems like it has quite a bit of history behind it, just trying to figure out where it comes from :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »
Its an interesting stein for sure !!

steincollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:51 am »
I am "the guy that made that post on that site ", as a matter of fact I am the webmaster of that site.
Your stein has a value on eBay of around 60 to 80 dollars, in my opinion. Could do a bit better on a good day, though, you never know. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 09:12:59 am »
Glad to have you join us Steincollector !! We get a few steins here that people ask about but as I said before,, its not my area of knowledge !!  Well,,except that you pour beer in it and drink up !!! (May know a bit about that part) !!