Author Topic: Brass Duck - what is this used for???  (Read 2167 times)

slipkid

• View Profile
Brass Duck - what is this used for???
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »
I have this old duck thing that I got about 20 years ago when we were cleaning out an old great aunt's apartment.  I've kept it just sitting dust on a shelf - it is so bizarre it is kind of cool.

Does anyone have any idea what it is??  It is hollow with a big hole on the top like it is a candle holder type thing but that doesn't make any sense to me.  How old could it be, value etc??

I assume it is made out of brass.  It is about 10 inches high and 8 inches long (tailfeathers to bill).

Any clues appreciated.  Thanks.

Photos below - sorry for the dust.

slipkid

• View Profile
Re: Brass Duck - what is this used for???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:56 pm »

Top view showing insides through hole (what is that hole for??? it must have a purpose).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:09 pm »
If it were for a candle, a glass votive holder would go in the hole and the small votive candle would go in the holder !!  That would prevent damage to the brass piece.  I have never seen one that big but who knows !!  You might check with Ducks Unlimited,, I know that in the past they have produced unique duck items for members that donate to their projects !!  I have one piece because a friend of ours got the contract to make them !!  Till some one told me what it was,, I would not have guessed that it was a hand towel holder by the way it was made !!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:40:23 pm »
I have been to many DU banquets and I have never seen a duck like that. I think it is just some decorative piece as mart said.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »
Wayward,, do you remember back in the 80`s they had a series of brass duck items ??  I am not saying this is one of theirs but,,, ???

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:58:15 pm »
Yes but nothing like that and most of their stuff was marked DU. This one looks like some weird mandarin duck with some aquatic vegetation in its mouth. I am guessing its origin as China or India.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
Looks like a votive holder to me as well!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:38:02 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

My first guess was some kind of candle holder but it didn't seem to make sense because then the duck itself would get all covered in wax - until you folks mentioned that there are such things as glass candle holders, that the candle goes into.  That makes more sense.

Although also interesting comment from Mart about having something similar that is a towel holder.

Looking at it very closely now, it has wear that to me makes me think it was not always an "indoor" duck that was just sitting on a shelf.  Looks more like something that might have been in a garden or fountain or something like that.  The great Aunt that had this had it just sitting in her apartment but it could have come from a house she used to live in or she got it from somewhere like that.

I just went to that ducksunlimited website and this doesn't look like it would be something that comes from there.  I really have no idea though.

Any ideas on this duck value or how I go about selling it??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:21 am »
Try listing on ebay !! Bad thing is brass items do not bring much !! Probably less than $10. !!

slipkid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:44:01 am »
Thanks to all for their comments.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »
Perhaps it is an incense burner?
Antiqueaholic in recovery