Author Topic: how much does this crack devalue an item??  (Read 1708 times)

galaxywomun

• View Profile
how much does this crack devalue an item??
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »
hi!  i have a vintage holt howard memo minder worth about 225 in mint condition.  (pretty rare item)  there is a slight crack on mine.  what do you guys think??

waywardangler

Re: how much does this crack devalue an item??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:53:50 pm »
Crack in the glaze or going all way through?

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:07:05 am »
just in the glazing

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:17:58 am »
I think it would downgrade to excellent then. I do not know what the price would be but mint garners a premium so if this is truly rare and desirable to collectors of Howard Holt, I would think something in the range of $150. Of course, I am basing my estimate on the fact that a mint one actually sells at $225 nowadays. I am not sure where you got the mint price...auction, price guide, recent sales, ?

I have just done a search and found prices all over the place.  $225 is a BIN on eBay and it is sitting there. Pie in the sky dream price IMO. Saw another on an antique site for $190. One sold on ebay recently for $30 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110701310131  Another on Minneapolis craigslist for $50 http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/atq/2469466594.html   Minneapolis is a major metropolitan area so I would think a Holt Howard collector would be all over this if the price is a steal.  I am beginning to think the market for Holt Howard is not what it used to be. I think the price is closer to $30-$50 for your memo minder.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:27:26 am by waywardangler »

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:49 am »
thanks!!  maybe i will start high (90) and be willing to come down a lot if it doesn't sell.  he is adorable!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:58:26 pm »
I agree with Wayward on this !!  One thing that does help is the fact that its a cat !!  It appeals to those animal lovers !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:02 am »
I would double check on the "crack"...because it doesn't look like one that is "crazing".  Better safe than sorry.

I would indicate that it is in good condition with glaze crack consistent with age... and would still ask a good price.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!