Author Topic: Old ceramic plate  (Read 2515 times)

Wouwtert

• View Profile
Old ceramic plate
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:03:46 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm from Holland (the Netherlands) and some time ago I came across an old ceramic plate. I have not the slightest clue where it is from, what's it for and if it has any value. The only thing I do tend to know is that it's old. As you can see the front is coloured, but the back also has a kind of drawing.

Here are the pictures:

Can anyone help me with some (any) information?

Kind regards,

Wouter

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Old ceramic plate
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:34:28 am »
Oh my, that is gorgeous! While I am not an expert, I don't think this is some modern reproduction/fake that was made to look old. I am also a little confused why the bottom has that design, hopefully someone can tell you and I both what it is. :) May I ask where you purchased/found it? Welcome to the forum. ;)

Wouwtert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:41 am »
Offcourse, I got it from Marktplaats.nl, a kind of dutch ebay. I payed 10 euro's...

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:04:14 am »
could you please give us the size of your piece.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:08:59 am »
    I think what you have is a trivet, and I also agree from the pics it is old, at least before the days of mass production.  I would have to guess at late 19th maybe mid, but this is just a guess, Nice piece for sure.

Wouwtert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:16:06 am »
It's quiet big, radius is 25cm exact. Any ideas about the value attached?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:36:11 am »
   I would say without knowing the actual age and maker you are looking at about $50.00 in value.  At first I thought it may be a Talavera style pottery, but that would be Mexican pottery.  However since you are in Holland and the art really look European, I would have to forgo that conculsion.   Overall this could prove to be hard to pinpoint the maker and actual age, and could very well be Folk art in nature.  I too am curious about the design on the bottom, could this possibly be a clue to the maker?  It appears to have another art on the back, which I find a bit unusual, maybe a hallmark or was a attempt at another piece of Art.  All in all this is a wonderful piece and thanks for posting, hopefully someone can fill in the blanks.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:58 am »
I am pretty much guessing here but I think its a meat platter !! It is very crudely made as if a person not familiar with the skills of a potter did it !! Perhaps the lady of the house made it for a utilitarian purpose rather than just a pretty object. Can`t really tell what the animal is on the back but it evidently is a hunter as is the lion on the front !! So the artwork would indicate the usage I think !!  Datewise I would guess early 1800`s !! Value would depend on where you sell it and I think it might be closer to $100. USD !!  Many do collect primitives !!  Like Ironlord I think the piece started out with the pic on the back but for some reason the maker changed their mind and just flipped it over and started again !!

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »
The image on the unfinished side appears to be a crude lioness with a deer/calf kill.  It doesn't really look like a lioness but it also doesn't resemble a puma/cougar/jaguar/? either.  The outlines are raised and these would be painted black as on the front. The other colors would be glaze painted in the voids and then the whole thing would be fired to set the glaze. It does look really crude but that is because there is no glaze applied. With glaze and after firing I would think it would look totally different, much like the front looks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:58:31 pm by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:35 pm »
Could also be simply an unfinished piece !!  Did the front and it was fired ( couldn`t do both sides at once ) and just never got around to doing the other side !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »
Interesting, I see you said that the radius (center to edge) is 25 cm (9.8") so it's nearly 20" across. It is too flat to be a plate, but it could be a trivet, carving platter, bread board, I think you've got some kind of food server designed to protect a table from heat or a food preparation surface. I'm not sure if that depiction on the obverse is a kill scene. It looks like mating to me... although sometimes there is a fine line when it comes to that, LOL!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Wouwtert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:10 am »
Lol, we had that discussion here also...

Thanks for all the reply's, any more information is always welcome!