Author Topic: Bronze Egyptian Statues  (Read 1505 times)

najo

• View Profile
Bronze Egyptian Statues
« on: July 15, 2004, 01:50:06 pm »
Hi,  ;)
Can anyone help me? I recently purchase this Bronze Egyptian statue. It is on a small steel type platform which has a Black coating which is flaking off. The statue itself is turning black and green. It measures 9 " long with a 1  3/4" base and it is about 3  1/2" high. There are three Egyptian figures. One each stands in front of a Bull? which has Very long horns. They have their hands in front of them. The third figure is doing a Handstand on the bull's back. There on Hieroglyphics carved on the back. Any idea of how to clean it ? Any idea of it's origin/ age?                          najo   :rolleyes: 7/15/04

JKoski53

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/83/poem_628820.html<br>
Bronze Egyptian Statues
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 03:31:30 am »
Hi,
 I can't give you a value or anything but I can tell you that your piece is tarnished and needs to be cleaned."Brasso" is great for cleaning Bronze and it won't take you for ever. There are other cleaners too, Just get what you think will work for you..Hope I have helped you...JKoski    

najo

• View Profile
Bronze Egyptian Statues
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 05:54:22 am »
:) Hello,
 Thanks for your reply about using brasso for cleaning my statue. I tried it and it is slow going- I find myself having to apply it with quitips etc. because of all the " handcuts" in the metal from tooling, This piece is very
"primative" butt, well thought out. When I first saw it I did not " take notice" that the men wore those " Egyptian chokers & loincloths." I merely thought it was a statue of people doing acrobats to entertain as in a
"circus." Now I believe I was not too far off in my "generalization." I now believe this is a "tomb item." It was made to represent Court figures and the " Long horned Bull " ( which is stretched and reclining) could "perhaps be a representation of " An Egyptian God."
Does anyone else have info or an opinion ?

JKoski53

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/83/poem_628820.html<br>
Bronze Egyptian Statues
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 06:13:13 am »
Hi Again!
   I'm glad I could help out.You may want to try using cotten balls! they are better than q-tips.Except when you have to get in to tight areas.Try also to clean small areas at a time.Let the brasso dry on a area than when you go to buff the dried brasso, add a tiny bit of brasso to your area and you will notice that it becomes easier to clean..Use a clean soft rag to buff with.I know it is a lot of work but the end results will please you no end. My husband and I having been cleaning our newest addition of brass all week.Let me know how it's coming along.Nice to talk to you..JKoski