Author Topic: Silver Cup Holder?  (Read 2499 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Silver Cup Holder?
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
      Since Hosman brought up the spoon, I have this little Sterling?? Cup Holder ?? , have not had a chance to look into it yet, but since it is my spoon Holder figured I would ask.   I got this item in a mixed lot at a auction, with some silverplate items, well after bring them home a friend of mine look at two of the items and said those are sterling.  He refered to the mark saying this is sterling mark of blah blah company, well it has been on the back burner and now I don't remember.  At close inspection I would have to agree, It appears not to have a base metal, and a solid metal that is apparent in sterling.  Anyway, does anyone have a clue for me, before I put this and the spoon back on the shelf  :D 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Cup Holder?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »
I saw that mark too but it looks different.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »
I saw that mark too but it looks different.

I think so too really.  Ironlord's seems more 'blocky' ........  if that makes sense  :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:37 pm »
   Yea I can be Blocky from time to time.   Yea i think it is different, but just went through my three books and nothing comes close.  Not sure it is that old either, It is for sure a stamped piece which would maybe make it mid 1800's at the most, and the bottom if I remember, should go look at it again, but almost has a machine looked bottom, which would have to be Early Century latest.  I think, I may be mid Century personnally, think I'll have to go blow the dust off again and look closer.  For sure no sterling mark.  But the million dollar question is it a cup holder, Pencil Holder, or maybe a rich baby cup with a silver spoon in hand.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
Well after closer inspection with a loupe, found something, this is hot off the press and have not looked yet, be sure after this post I will have to snoop.  Appears to Be "90"  and a HH mark by something else. really small on the cup.  And the base does have a spun look to it, kinda lots a bit new.

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:48 am »
I think this may possibly be the company that made your "holder" The first link shows an example of their work. Second link is a site that shows the mark and a little history about the company (it is about 3/4s of the way down the page)

http://eronjohnsonantiques.com/dynapage/IP24273.htm

http://www.pewtertankardsflagons.com/index.php?p=1_42_Silverplate-marks-H

Also, just wanted to let you guys know how much I love this site!! I know very little about antiques but because of this site I know more than I used too lol...Thanks for helping us "newbies" along the  way!!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 05:34:00 am »
I think this may possibly be the company that made your "holder" The first link shows an example of their work. Second link is a site that shows the mark and a little history about the company (it is about 3/4s of the way down the page)

http://eronjohnsonantiques.com/dynapage/IP24273.htm

http://www.pewtertankardsflagons.com/index.php?p=1_42_Silverplate-marks-H

Also, just wanted to let you guys know how much I love this site!! I know very little about antiques but because of this site I know more than I used too lol...Thanks for helping us "newbies" along the  way!!

Awesome researching kysfinest!!  You nailed it !

And yes, the fun is in the hunt .......... a good 'find' makes it even better.  That's how I fell in love with this place too  (plus, the local 'characters' have a lot to do with it too   ;) )

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:47:17 am »
     Thank you kysfinest that is it, you are for sure on your way to be a old pro at this  ;)

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:46:55 pm »
 :D Ironlord, I am FAR from becoming a pro lol...but with your guys help i'm learning alot!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:08 pm »
NICE JOB Ky'sfinest!   
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »
Nice bingo , kysfinest !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "