Author Topic: Japan Autumn Leaf Pottery Plate  (Read 1930 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Japan Autumn Leaf Pottery Plate
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:51:17 pm »
Acquired this glazed ceramic plate.  Appears to be hand painted, and there is crazing to glaze.  The bottom says "Made in Japan".  The plate has scalloped edges, is cream with green and brown trim, and has I guess an autumn maple leaf in the center.  It has 4 holes in it possibly for hanging, and is 9.25" diameter.  Anyone know how old this might be and a possible maker, style, etc.?  Haven't been able to find one like it yet.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Japan Autumn Leaf Pottery Plate
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:26:43 am »
    It appears to be a sort of Majolica Style pottery plate.  It would of been made post 1940's based on the back stamp, possible Occupied time frame.  As for maker that would be almost impossible to track, Export comapnies would buy these items from various makers esp. in the 50's as they were trying to rebuild japan by making so many exports most was not marked with anything other then made in japan.  Pretty cool plate.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »
Thanks, ironlord!  Appreciate your input as always!  :)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:47:04 pm »
Just found this thanks to your tip, ironlord!  Looks like it used to have a wicker sort of basket handle on it.  Interesting.
http://www.laurelleaffarm.com/pages/china_and_glass/majolica-eaf-pattern-plate.htm

How do you tell that something is majolica?  I have difficulty with that.  I mean I believe that this one is, but I am having trouble determining ceramic from majolica in general.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
     It for the most part is not true Majolica Pottery,  This is why I put Majolica Style pottery.  True Majolica style is made it Italy for the most part, and is Tin Glazed Pottery, however This Raised or Relief style pottery is what most call Majolica now.  I just based it on the overall looks, and there actually may be another name that someone else here may know, but my rookie mind says Majolica Style.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 01:23:35 pm »
Nice find, GG! I never would have guessed that type of handle.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:45:45 pm »
I have seen similar style with wire handles !! Its like a tidbit tray/plate !! For serving cookies ect !!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:08:04 pm »
Ah, okay--that makes sense, ironlord, because it does seem to be ceramic and I find no indication that it's tin glazed, yet the style is a total match to what's out there and being called majolica.

snowflake, thanks, I got some great pieces at this far-away auction I went to over the weekend...can't wait to share them!  Taking pics today...

Thanks, mart!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »
I've never been to an auction. I joined this site to help me price getting rid of stuff that I don't need. I have too much. Now I'm ruined! I want to go to an auction and want to hunt for antiques at rummage sales.  :-[

Maybe if I finish getting my other stuff out of here, I can find a spot for new things.   :-X