Author Topic: Antique Trunk  (Read 1242 times)

annieb_2009

• View Profile
Antique Trunk
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:07:44 pm »
I am hoping someone can give me an idea about this trunk. It looks like it was possibly a traveling trunk. There was a type of colorful covering on it that has aged off only remnants remain it reminds me of  wall paper for a lack of better description.
Basically I am hoping someone can give me a run down on my fascination with this truck.
Maybe an origin of where these types of trunks were used or originated from? And possibly a good site for restoration if it seems like it might be worth while to do so?
Is there any value to it?
Is it worth restoring?
The hinges and lock are all very good but the handles are gone.
Thank you
Annie

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Trunk
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:48:27 am »
Nice old trunk !!  Worth on these is not particularly high (about $100. or less) so restoration, unless you can do it yourself, would not be something I would consider !! It can get pricey to hire it done !! However for your own use it would be worth a DIY !! The paper on it could not be saved so I would take it off the outside and just save the inside piece. You can buy replacement handles !! The wood and metal looks in pretty good shape !!  Would make good storage if cleaned well and refurbished a bit !!

rnhantiques

• View Profile
Re: Antique Trunk
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:22:45 am »
late 19th century trunk - they often come up up in auction at the UK.  Normally about £50 over here in the UK.   Unfortunately probably not worth the expense of the restoration as it would cost more than the trunk.  You can probably tidy it up yourself quite a bit - it has a shabby chic look which many people like.