Author Topic: Oriental Vase Identification  (Read 1697 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Oriental Vase Identification
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:32 am »
Hi All

I have had a vase for a while that has been driving me crazy! Finally need to turn here to identify. The vase is 7 inches high, 4 inches wide at the widest point. It has two wading birds on it. As for markings, nothing on the bottom, but two oriental characters (Japanese??) beside the birds. The feel of the piece is sort of between metallic and ceramic, just weird to the touch. That is why I like it so much! Anyone seen anything like this? I wouldn't be surprised if the japanese characters say "Dollar Store Japan".

Not sure if the pictures are clear enough, really need to pull out a better camera.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Oriental Vase Identification
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:53 am »
I'd say that your item is not a vase ... I think you've got a Saki bottle , hudsonhacker .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:23:53 am »
Sounds like cloisonne which is a enamel coated metal !! Tin, copper and brass was used !! The crane as in your vase is considered lucky in Japanese culture also means honorable and loyal !! That is one of the simplist designs in cloisonne I have ever seen. They are usually more ornate !!  If you live close to an oriental market,, they can probably tell you what the symbols are which should tell you who made it !!
Could well be a saki bottle rather than vase !!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
Never thought of a Saki Bottle! Makes perfect sense! No China Town or oriental area near me. I will do have a friend that lived in Japan for a while, maybe he can translate it!

really need to make room for more stuff, and do not really want to sell this piece (unless I could get $250 for it!). Anyone guess the value? Based on EBay, I am going to guess around $25-50. At that price I am more inclined to keep it for now and jst sell off some larger sized pieces (teak tables!) to make space in my basement.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:37:27 pm by hudsonhacker »

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:30:03 pm »
It's a lovely piece.

I have a sake set with four cups, carved out of jade/jadeite.  I picked it up on eBay for under $70, if I recall.  So your valuation is probably accurate, unless it turns out to be a highly desirable and famous potter, or some such.