Author Topic: Took a flyer on a Railroad Silver vase - did I toss away $$?  (Read 1562 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Took a flyer on a Railroad Silver vase - did I toss away $$?
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:35 am »
Okay, I gotcarried away on an auction and ended up buying a silver vase. The only other one I can find like it is on worthpoint, and I have no idea what it went for.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/authentic-1904-cpr-1st-class-dining-car-vase

It is a Elkington Vase, mint marks all fine, registration # 21880. It was made for the 1st clss section of the CPR railway and has CPR engraved as per the drawing.

Anyone have any idea what I could sell this thing for? The worthpoint link above really talks it up, but I tend to live in reality.
All help appreciated.

bob535

• View Profile
Re: Took a flyer on a Railroad Silver vase - did I toss away $$?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »
It's not the same but it fits in the category. There is a CPR pitcher/thermos on ebay it has seven bids on it so far, and it is currently at $51.00 with two days left to go....you can watch this item and get an aprox ebay value for it.....

I don't have a worthpoint account so i can't see the price either....

But here is the link to the pitcher:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPR-Thermos-Canadian-Pacific-Railway-Toronto-Thermos-/220845648065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336b6d28c1

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:11:18 pm »
Yeah, saw the pitchaer on Ebay. Even at that price I am ahead of the game by a bit. Guess I need to find a railroad memoribilia forum; something specific to those collectors. Off to google!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »
Rail road items are hot and have been for years !!  You should do well if you got it at a reasonable price !! I would guess,,without researching it,,, that it would go between $50. and $75. !!  But railroad rarity could make it more !!  Research the RR line itself for an idea !!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »
Railroad guys are crazy. Found one for sale for $250. That guys ad mentioned the exact same one that went for $500! Those boys are passionate about their hobby.

Did learn a few things doing the research on this one. Should have done the full research prior to buying it though; glad it turned out, but should not have bid more than I had intended to just because it was SHINY! Sometimes elf control is an issue! ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »
If you are at an auction,, self control is a must !!  Its too easy to get caught up in the bidding and forget about the amount in your wallet !!