Author Topic: Roseville vase - a little wary of a fake  (Read 4708 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Roseville vase - a little wary of a fake
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »
Have a chance to buy a vase that the buyer claims is a Roseville. I have gone over and over with google, Bing, etc., and I cannot seem to locate another Roseville vase that looks like this one (please see picture). Anyone know what series this might be? Unfortunately I would have to drive for 90 minutes to look at the underside of the piece, and do not want to do that unless it might be worth while. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Roseville vase - a little wary of a fake
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »
Have him send you detailed pics, especially of the bottom !!  Not sure but I think most all Roseville is marked as such !! There were several makers that were making very similar pieces and are sometimes called unmarked Roseville but are not !!  If they will not send pics,, don`t buy it !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:12 pm »
Can you get them to take a pic of the bottom?  Or at least spell out exactly what the marks read?

Looks to be Apple Blossom

http://www.wwcomponents.net/roseville/rosevilleMarks.html    Marks......real and fake

http://www.justartpottery.com/roseville-pottery.htm      Patterns

http://www.justartpottery.com/pottery_group.asp?id=193&cat=Shop+Roseville+by+Type    Shapes

I know there is also another site that lists what to look for (colors, etc) in fakes......will check to find that

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:32:12 pm »
Found it  ;)

http://www.wwcomponents.net/roseville/roseville.html     What to Look For  /  List of Fake Pieces

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »
I would definitely have them send a pic of the underside and a good one of the signature.  Frankly I'm surprised they didn't include it if they are Roseville collectors or even know a little.  I believe the majority of fakes can be ID'd in the signature (you probably want to look that up - I could be wrong).  Lot's of knock offs out there so you are right to be wary.

Wendy can probably add more but for sure she'll want to see a good pic of the signature.  If they are unwilling to provide, I wouldn't make the drive...

ETA: LOL...  Others posting while I was :)  Haven't looked at Sapphires links yet but even if you find the pattern, you need to see the sig...

Also think I saw this info on Antiques Road Show.  You also want to look for "coloring outside the lines"  Another good way to spot a fake.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:35:28 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »
Just checked and it seems that many pieces of Roseville were unmarked !! Some had paper labels !!  But still need to see the bottom of that piece and detailed pics,, you want to see if there is wear consistant with age !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:49:48 pm »
Here is the ARS I saw in a google book: http://books.google.com/books?id=Nk14Us8-iCsC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=roseville+antiques+road+show&source=bl&ots=c-NKAPyc2k&sig=98zE7Wm9qFYKG3B34PWlaHnCssg&hl=en&ei=QJteToasMbDZiAL87KSzBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Still looking for the video.  

He says that it should be marked Roseville USA vrs Roseville which is a China KO.  Not sure about the paper lables. The only ones I have seen in person were marked into the clay on the bottom.  Have only seen about 5 or so in antique stores. From what I see, if it is being sold as Roseville, it had the sig in the clay...  but again, I have limited experience.  Definite quality is appreciated when it's handled.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:51:37 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »
Speaking of Roseville Pottery, esp. Oceans and Hosman.  Pacfic Galleries nex Auction is full of Roseville, a friend of mine that works there, says there is so much going through on the next auction that I should be able to get some real Deals.  I think I just might get aq piece or two for myself.

http://auctions.pacgal.com/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&ps=50&st=D&sale_no=S1109++

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:06:50 pm »
IL - That is one of the places I have seen it!  Several pieces up by the front window.  Lovely!!  Wish I had room for some but I am busting at the seams as it is.  Nice colors, not glossy...  just lovely.

Do a brag post if you get some!!  ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »
Oh I.m sure I will be bragging if I get some at good prices, I too am busting at the seams, ever since you sent me there last christmas looking for a brady warmer, Haven't miss a auction there since.  Great deals there

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:43 pm »
Have looked at several pics now ....  GREAT links Sapphire.  
Am I seeing correctly that most pieces are two-toned? even if the same color, there are lighter areas then darker near top/and or bottom?  Could be my eyes...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:44:03 pm by Oceans64 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 06:27:17 pm »
I have never seen a two toned or shaded piece of Roseville !!  Not to say that they didn`t make them, but all I have seen were one base color !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 08:30:50 am »
Sorry been off line due to hurricane Irene ,  Apple blossom was produced in 1948, and was marked 3 ways during that time -  Roseville above U.S.A.  /    R U.S.A.  / R above U.S.A.   paper labels were used from 1914-1933 these were black paper stickers, also a silver & gold paper sticker was used from 1903-1937. dating this piece from the pattern  with dates of production it will be marked with one of the three mentioned impressed marks if it is not a copy. But even if marked it must be looked at carefully as reproductions from China  are clever copies!! I also have not found that shape in any of my antique literature and I think it looks a little tooo pink in color but could be the photo. will search more for this shape  ;) oceans  you are correct many pieces are two-toned, even if the same color, there are lighter areas then darker near top/and or bottom  or middle but not all and some used 2 colors and lots of shading.  Like these 2 beautiful examples  http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7438913 
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9744682

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:16:37 pm »
FInally had a chance to look at the Roseville vase. Markings look correct, Numbered 390-12, so it is the Roseville Apple Blossom Pillow vase. In person it is nowhere near as pinkish as in the photo. Nice piece. Now I have to sell it! Thanks all for the help and information!

Hudsonhacker

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:30 pm »
    Thanks for the update, hope your flip does well for you.  I did want to make a general commit about the color.  I general most do not realize, you can not depend on color of the item based offf the photo.  This is most true with the net, color is never the same, unless every one involved from the photographer, to you screen is PMS Calibrated.  Even the color of the item will change depending on the light you are using to view it with. Sorry about the rant, but have gotten this a couple of time in my Ebay adventures, and since I have been working in Photography for some 30 years, it is a point I have to even tell customers all the time.  Even the colors of Printers are different.  O.K. sounds like I'm at work, just wanted to comment on that.    Oh yea what is the color yellow in the Dark?  LOL   "Color does not exsist without light."   ;)