Author Topic: 3 wheel roller skates  (Read 9458 times)

Unclelou

• View Profile
3 wheel roller skates
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »
Hi collectors  Has anyone ever seen an antique pair of 3 wheel roller skates? I have a pair that were made by Patins Jack called Le Challengeur.  They were made in France. I contacted the museum of roller skating with pictures. The director informed he had never seen these before and couldn't find out anything to help me. He also asked me if I wanted to donate them to the museum. I have attached some pictures.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: 3 wheel roller skates
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:53:07 pm »
Vintage rollerblades,lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:14 pm »
Those are the equivalent of sidewalk skates !!  Look at toys rather than just skates !! I will look tomorrow !! Can check my toy book tonight !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »
Did find this so far 1828
Another roller skate patent was issued in Austria in 1828 to August Lohner, a Viennese clock maker. Until then, all designs had been for inline skates, but this version was like a tricycle, with two wheels in back and one in front. He also added a ratchet to prevent the skate from rolling backward.  This is the  site they may be able to help    http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1896-richard-choubersky-road-skates/  hopefully mart can find more info for you!!!  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »
The words on yours indicate FRENCH origin so need to try and search French toys, skates, etc.
 Patins = skates  HOWEVER  the Patins was also used in Belgium..."Another Belgian, Maximiliaan Lodewijik Van Lede, in 1790 made a roller skate that he called the patin a terre, meaning "earth skate" or "land skate."  from the following link:

http://skatehereford.co.uk/Historyofrollerskating.aspx

It shows in history line other 3 wheel skates being invented in Austria, etc.

Also, there is French Canadian, etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:04:10 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »
Yup KC Unclelou does indicate they were made in France but so far this is the  one and only 3 wheeled skate I have been able to track down. After searching numerous sites this is the only hit.   making me crazy  :)  ???

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:01 pm »
  (sorry) I should have added  the only one I found  information on that is not inline.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:40:02 pm »
I was adding more info and you were much quicker than me!  LOL

Found a few more but not this one or French
  American Made  early 1900's

The two wheeled ones in France are called Bicyclettes....so I am trying tricyclettes.

These I remember seeing
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:27 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-bearing-roller-skates-key-/120773578069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1eaa8d55

These skates come up as 3 wheeled skates. It's really hard to tell. The person says that they are from the 1940's and were laying in a box. The angle isn't good to tell either.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Unclelou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:10:56 am »
Thank you everyone. I am new to this forum and think this is a great site for collectors. I have learned alot of information about the history of roller skating this week lol. All the information has been helpful and I will continue to search for the answer. I have searched french websites as well as many US sites. There was a company in Toledo Ohio who made 3 wheel skates that look very much like mine. They were produced in the early 1900s so I think this is the time table of these skates. I want to put them up for sale but can't until I have some more info their value. Also I very much enjoy reading all the posts and will continue to be part of the forum.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:51 am »
I have hit a snag every where I have looked for these !! Not in my books either !!  Have one more idea I will try !!

Unclelou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »
Thanks mart  I have sent a couple of emails to different collectors and I am still researching

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »
The biggest clue on age is that they are made with rubber wheels and the rivets used to affix them....  Really old ones had wooden wheels.  Still a'lookin!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »
Okay,, learned a bit !!  Went to thesaurus for definition of patins !!  It simply means "skates" from what I can gather,, its from the old french !! Then looked up Jack skates,, thinking it was a brand or maker,, it seems that it is a type of skate rather than a brand or maker !! Jack skates are still being made but haven`t looked at any to see what type they are or what that type actually is !!  I also think these were made after 1900 from the rubber wheels !!