Author Topic: Carved Ivory Necklace and Bracelet  (Read 1184 times)

trap121

• View Profile
Carved Ivory Necklace and Bracelet
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:01 am »
Any idea what this might be worth??

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:24:39 am by trap121 »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Carved Ivory Necklace and Bracelet
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:15:38 am »
Beautiful, beautiful set. Horrendous to close your eyes and imagine what had to happen to make it. For this reason, ivory is a specialty market and tricky (but not impossible) to sell. I don't think it can be sold on ebay, so you may have to take it to antique shops or auction houses and ask around. Sorry I'm not much help, maybe another member will be more helpful!

Quite funny that you find quite a few people on ebay with listings like this one. Fake, real ivory, eh?  ::)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Real-Antique-Faux-Ivory-Necklace-Handmade-Big-Bones-/150661158289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23141ad591
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:19:52 am by hosman321 »

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:32 am »
It can't be sold on eBay if it is real ivory.  I actually had an ivory colored glass piece and was on the phone with eBay for an hour trying to get them to approve my listing because eBay's automated system was reading it like I was trying to list real ivory, and it wouldn't let me list it.  I ended up having to change my title to "Ivory Colored" (thus making me use up 7+ characters of my Title, per their instruction) so the system would allow my item even though it was made of glass!  Ebay's rule on ivory is it has to be less than 5% ivory, like small inlaid details on a larger piece, and has to be pre-1900.  Some people will try to sell it anyways, but eBay is super strict on that and will ban you if they catch you selling it.  Wish I could help you further but I've never bought or sold ivory.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:30:29 am »
I believe your piece is carved bone & not ivory all my antique literature indicates this style was made of bone. do not try to whiten it with bleach or anything as this will diminish value. price varies   I would say in this market for both necklace & bracelet  $25.00 - $50.00

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:23 am »
I have a similar piece that a relative sent to his mother early in WW II !! He was shot down over the Pacific and never made it home !!  Never heard where he was at the time he sent the necklace !!