Author Topic: pre 1900 trumpet?  (Read 1393 times)

dyanzer

• View Profile
pre 1900 trumpet?
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »
I have a trumpet from sometime before 1900's. It has F Pinkert. Danzig engraved on the bell. It appears to be from Germany? It was my grandfather's who played in a marching band during WWI. It has a different valve I think it is called rotary. I was told that these have springs mechanisms and usually a watchmaker can repair it? I plays and everything seems to work. I have a few pictures. Would like anyone to give me more information on it and maybe a value?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: pre 1900 trumpet?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 01:33:37 am »
You need to take this to your local music store for a hands-on evaluation. You will need to determine if you have a trumpet or a coronet (as I understand it, the bores differ). There are also other horns such as the flugalhorn, so you really need to have a shop look at this. They should also be able to determine the value since they are in the business of selling instruments.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:29:56 am »
This is a Cornet I believe.  Are there serial numbers?  Those are what is used to date.  I'll go look for a site that lists them.

ETA: Having trouble finding Pinkert....  Can you get a clear pic of the engravings?  As far as the value goes, the more you can find out the better off you will be.  Hubby has been looking for one for quite awhile so I have "antique cornet" saved as an eBay search.  There are new (old) ones up everyday it seems.  They run from under $50 to many hundreds.  The most desirable (aside from Bach's)  seem to be silver with a Sheppard's Crook. Also, any dents, repairs, etc will greatly affect value.

If we can determine the date on yours, value should be easy via eBay.  That said, you may do better with a local consignment.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:39:33 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:01 am »
I believe yours is a cornet!  The mouthpiece tubing starts small and gradually becomes larger all the way to the end.  Newer ones are hard to differentiate...but older ones hold to tradition.  Believe it or not the cornet was created in France!!!! (On trumpets the tubing stays consistent all the way to the bell)

Here is the best example I could find of older ones.  The ones on left are bugles with the exception of the one on the bottom being a flughorn.  The ones in the middle are trumpets and the ones on the right are cornets.

I would take it to a REPUTABLE music store, like talesof suggested, for a proper evaluation of the instrument.

HOWEVER....the only instrument that I am aware of that widely had a rotary valve is a trumpet and the German's Austrians were renowned for their rotary valve trumpets.  There were cornets made with rotary valves as well...but were not as wide spread.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:21:00 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:18:48 am »
I see what you mean,, rotary valve, I think !! Thats very different !!