Author Topic: Victorian braclet?  (Read 2070 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Victorian braclet?
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:37 pm »
I bought this in a lot. Is it of the time period of the people on the bracelet? They're not great pictures, but I need a better camera, or lessons, lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Victorian braclet?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:35:37 pm »
I'm afraid it looks quite modern to me, judging by the clasp. Antique bracelets almost always have a box clasp similar to this which is actually a repro replacement part. I'm afraid that the type of clasp you have is a later development.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
Finding some interesting info online.

Fold-over clasps were invented in 1901, but I do not think your bracelet is older than the 1960's at the most.
Spring clasps (circular spring-loaded, not lobster claw) were invented in the early 1900's.

Tongue and groove clasps date to 1910.

Barrell clasps date from the 1930's

This info and much more is in this article on dating antique jewelry by the technologies available at the time:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1405443/what_to_look_for_when_identifying_antique.html?cat=46

Here is a guide for clasps on pins and brooches:

Here is an EXCELLENT article on dating jewelry by style:

http://www.oldsacramentolivinghistory.com/research/victorian%20jewelry.pdf

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:18:25 pm »
Here's a family piece that I have that we know dates to the late 1800's. This one has a box clasp with a tongue under the locket. It is braided human hair mourning jewelry. Unfortunately I cannot date it more precisely since we do not recognize the initials that are on it. This kind of hair jewelry went out of fashion before the turn of the century.

This one is a love token braclet that I can date with precision because the love tokens are made from coins with the dates still on them. They date from the 1870's to the 1890's. This bangle style of bracelet has a post that slides up through a keyhole shaped cut, then is secured with a slide:

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:40 pm »
I was familiar with the C clasps with a brooch, but I didn't know about bracelets. That you for the education. That clasp does look familiar on a necklace I purchased a while ago and held on to because I felt it was heavy and there was something interesting about it.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:33:08 pm »
Wow, such beautiful jewelry and very useful information. I tinker with old jewelry but never looked into the history of it. Super links! The last picture looks so much like the old rosaries I have, if it was not for the clasp. I am just so glad I found this forum!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:03:15 pm »
Lol, you make me laugh. I got interested in jewelry through brooches. I still collect them. I put them in shadowboxes and have them hung in my office as wall art. When I started buying brooches it was easier. Not many as many people were interested.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »
Yes, great information tales & greenacres!  Thanks for sharing!  :)