Author Topic: Kelvin and White Sextant  (Read 1325 times)

trap121

• View Profile
Kelvin and White Sextant
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:05:09 pm »
Does anyone know what this might be worth?

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Kelvin and White Sextant
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »
I didn't 'Bing' or 'Google" -search for items like yours , trap121 , but I'd guess you'd get a quick idea from Ebay & such .... @ least you'll get to see what sim. items are being 'offered' for .

Nice vintage sextant , IMO , esp. with original case !

My last comment would be that it sure looks like your item could use a real good cleaning , oiling & checking tightness of all hardware ( will be worth more & show that 'regular' maintenace was performed on the sextant) .
Not unusual to see corrosion on such water-borne instruments , but it is undesirable (except to a buyer who could negotiate on that point) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

trap121

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:46 pm »
I didn't 'Bing' or 'Google" -search for items like yours , trap121 , but I'd guess you'd get a quick idea from Ebay & such .... @ least you'll get to see what sim. items are being 'offered' for .

Nice vintage sextant , IMO , esp. with original case !

My last comment would be that it sure looks like your item could use a real good cleaning , oiling & checking tightness of all hardware ( will be worth more & show that 'regular' maintenace was performed on the sextant) .
Not unusual to see corrosion on such water-borne instruments , but it is undesirable (except to a buyer who could negotiate on that point) .

What kind of place can I take it to get basic maintance done to it?  I had no idea what a sextant was until a few hours ago when this was given to me.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:29:31 pm »
Never heard of it before either. But it looks cool! One sold for $755 here. Have no idea about things like this so it could be different condition, age. Who knows?
http://www.skipjackmarinegallery.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SNWMG&Product_Code=4257&Category_Code=

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:15 pm »
You could certainly clean , oil & 'take a screwdriver' to your sextant yourself , if you're fond of cleaning small parts .... not really rocket science to do so carefully .... it's just a time/labor consuming item to maintain .

I'd say the cost of having a clean/lube job on it would be close to the (fair market) value of your sextant ; sometimes local marinas will have a contact/tech for such work .

It's a DIY project , on a 1943 sextant , IMO .

The cool thing about doing the job yourself is that you'll surely learn something new to you , about sextants !!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:07:17 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "