Author Topic: Antique Buttons  (Read 4968 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Buttons
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 06:09:43 pm »

I had a nice little detector but the Ex took it so I know nuts and bolts !!  Figured it was a cheap end to a big problem !! He also took the indian artifact collection that I really hated to lose not that they were found with the detector but there were other things that were metal we found there  !!   Eventually I will get another metal detector !!  There are more old house places around me than I can hunt in a lifetime !! Including the one I live on !!  It has been occupied since the early 1800`s !! There are 30 acres here and we have another 30 down the road a bit so searching these will take me a while !! LOL

Mart - I (we) only own one and a half acres but there is 160 acres belonging to my neighbor.  He's been a great neighbor and I gave him the Indian Wars button that I found on his property at his birthday party.  I actually have covered a lot of the acre and a half, in one spot to the side of the driveway I found 37 Lincoln pennies (not wheat) in a square foot area.  There is the foundation of an old barn just east of our house and I'm going to explore that next.  Be advised that there is an awful lot of digging that turns out to be nuts and bolts etc.  Be careful what you wish for!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »
Sounds like that would be fun. I can't wait until we get one. Next summer, maybe.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »
They are a blast !!  If you get one try to get one with a discriminator mode !!  That will help weeding out some of the pull tabs ,nails, rusty wire ect !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
You would see me out there just to relax. Now, I want to go buy one. Do you have a privy?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »
mart ,if you have a privy on your property you should dig. Bottles and a lot of them. It will tell you the history of the people in it's own way. I love bottles. You could go to the zoning board to find out. My son was building a house near Old City Philadelphia and there was a privy right behind the house. They would see people climbing in and out. I have a lot of old bottles. Sorry about the bad split.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 07:09:33 am »
Greenacres - Your post brought back memories.  When we moved in here there was a privy 25 feet from the house, with a huge lilac bush hiding it from the road. We called the septic tank people and they gave us a good price for the job.  The excavator who dug the hole said he would cut the price $25 if he could have any bottles they found.  I said "Sold!.  Unfortunately for him there was one worthless jar that food had come in.  The pit was lined with paving bricks. These are big bricks 5" wide, 5" high and nine inches long. The excavator wanted some and  I've given away a few and had one stolen from the bed of my pickup.  ??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:43 am »
They probably had gone through it. There was property up the street we swore was historic. We all fought at zoning. They say it wasn't registered. I knew the buyer and he gave me permission, but there was a giant hole already. I think there is one between my property and my neighbor in the back, but I think it falls in his yard.  When my husband builds and rehabs is where I get most of my bottles and crocks. I am just itching to dig a privy. It's not easy around where I live. The head of our zoning board is a major bottle cottlector, and believe me he has every map and spot locked up. lol