Author Topic: Can ANYONE id this axe for me??  (Read 1977 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Can ANYONE id this axe for me??
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:33 pm »
Ive googled every word I can think of and asked everyone I know and I cant figure out what kind of axe this is. id say its early 1920's to 30's ish but Im not sure. It has a name painted on it but its unreadable. I bought it from an elderly lady at an OLD farmhouse for $10 and Im hoping I did ok.. Im a sucker for old tools
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can ANYONE id this axe for me??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:06:18 pm »
Is the surface inside the curve flat ??  Looks like a log roller but I don`t see the picks to secure it !! Did it ever have an edge ??  Could also be a grubbing hoe but I have not seen an axe handle like yours with a grubbing hoe head !!  And its different from most of those !!  Take a shot of the top side so we can see its total shape !!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:14:52 pm by mart »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:07:59 pm »
Think that's a brush axe.........my dad used to use one logging way back in the 30's

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:18:31 pm »
Glad you got this Sapphire !!  It looks flat to me so I was going in the wrong direction with log roller !! I have never seen one of those !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »
Glad you got this Sapphire !!  It looks flat to me so I was going in the wrong direction with log roller !! I have never seen one of those !!

Almost did get this one literally mart!   ;)   

It hung on the wall in the basement along with all the old farm equipment dad brought from the farm to the 'big city' and still made use of when I was young.  Taking down his scythe with his 'shadow' in tow, he clipped the axe and had to block it's fall as it dropped ......... right for my head.  Won't soon forget what a lot of those good old tools looked like, but not too quick on most of their names now.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:16 pm »
thanks alot! yes the inside curve is still very sharp. this has been bugging me so glad to have a name for it, knew I could count on you folks  :D
I just bought it because I knew it was old and looked like like something from a horror movie lol
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:41:43 pm by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:20:52 am »
Right on Sapphire, ..... when I seen the picture I knew it was a "brush hook".  A "new" one of them will cost you plenty:  http://www.lehmans.com/store/Gardening___Cleanup___Single_Edge_Steel_Brush_Hook___12200432?Args=

Nowdays most everyone is either in a hurry or lazy, ..... they use a "brush hog" pulled behind a tractor.  ;D ;D ;D