Author Topic: Holy Water Font 1810?  (Read 3676 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Holy Water Font 1810?
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »
These are my babies. I have tried to find out about them with no luck. I took them to an antique store in my area and she couldn't find out anything. I was looking at a set of silver deposit glass she had there and she asked if I was interested in a trade though. I told her I wasn't interesting in parting with them.

One of these has been broken and stapled. I'd like to have it fixed. It worries me because it is barely hanging on now. I was told it's not often that you find them this old with the fingers still intact. I think it is a holy water font because the only glazed area is the inside of the bowl. Two: The family was very religious.

What I would like to know:

Is 1810 the year it was made and not a identification number?
I'd love to know who made it.
I'd like to know what they might be worth. (Not selling ever!)
Why the backs of them have different marks?

(Click on the photo for a larger image)

Details:
Made in Germany. It states 1810.
Size: About 7 1/2 in height. About 4 inches across.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:55:37 pm by snowflake »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Holy Water Font 1810?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:58:46 pm »
I may be wrong, but that "Made In" stuff wasn't really used before the 20th century. At least that's what I have been told several times...
They look kind of 1920s to me. Very pretty!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:03:27 pm by hosman321 »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:06:31 pm »
I was thinking that the 1810 was just stuck in the middle of the "made in Germany". I wonder what it means. Off to do another search...
Thanks, hosman!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »
Could be the year that the company was founded, too. :)
I'm searchin' with ya.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:04 pm »
You are super! Thanks for the help. Out of everything I have, these are what I would love to know more about.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 03:49:06 pm »
I think they are wall pockets !! Made early 1900`s !!    I have seen small pot plants sitting in them !!  In a separate pot as well as arificial flowers !! I think they were originally used as accent pieces on either side of a picture or painting !!
Angels and cherubs were pretty popular as decorative items back then !!  As well as artwork with a heavenly theme !!  They are not identical  so they may have been given to the owner or purchased at different times !! Or maybe there were not two of the same for sale when they bought them so just got one that was close enough !! Or used in two different places in the home !!  OK,,  I quit thinking !!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:01:39 pm by mart »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
Pot plants? Gives a whole new meaning to Holy Smokes!  :D  Just kidding. I did look up wall pockets too. I just can't seem to find these ones anywhere.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 04:13:13 pm »
Cool little fonts , snowflake .

A couple of other hints could be :

The 2 diff dates may just represent a factory die/model # &/or original die-date , but are of 20th century manufacture IMO ... might be by a pretty good maker , @ that , though .
They did take the care to/have the knowledge to stamp the items with the 'made in' to distinguish these from older H-W fonts ... .

Sure looks like a bunch of work was done to drill , surface adhere & staple the one poor little thing together !

One 'crafty' method to stabilize the broken pcs is to buy some 'removable adhesive mat'l' from your local supplier .... just roll some little 'logs' and press lightly onto the areas that will work (avoiding placing any on the staples) for a backing mat'l of matt board or foam-centered art board , etc , etc . assembly .
Doing so will create a more stable , but fairly temporary 'stiff & stuck' mount .

I like how the repairs look !
I think trying to have your broken font restored would just not be worth it .... I'm voting you hang on to it & let the next 1 or 2 generations figure that one out .... also think it's worth more just as it is .

In the worst case , in event of sale , you could get in no trouble if advertised as "Bound & Extra Holy' !

;D

I think it's safe to say that these were intended for the english-speaking , in-counrty or for export .
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:27:16 pm by regularjoe2 »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 04:25:39 pm »
Thanks, Joe! I really do love them and would never part with them. I figured they had to be kind of old because they had them stapled. I will check out the product you mentioned. I'd hate to have anything happen to it. I do hang them on each side of my silk prints. But I think it's time to put them into a shadow box type thing. I want to be able to hand them down intact.  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »
    Another point on the age, I don't believe Germany was Germany until the late 1800's if I remember my history correct.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »
Good point ironlord! Was it called Germany after 1871?
It's all a little confusing to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »
I did go to school, honest. I guess I was day dreaming through much of it.   :-[
I'm getting more of an education as an adult than I did then! Can I go hide now? 

No, thanks...really. It helps to know these things when I am trying to identify my treasures. I really appreciate the help.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 04:52:09 pm »
Ha Snowflake!!  I always say that if I were as interested in history in school as I am now...  I would have paid attention!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 04:58:49 pm »
LOL! The only part of history I enjoyed through school was about Louis Riel. Then I went back to sleep. I find history, religion and politics fascinating now. I have more books on that than I will ever be able to read. I could kick myself for not trying harder in school. I could have had an interesting job.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:53:24 pm by snowflake »