Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 1137 times)

GuitarDTC

• View Profile
NEED HELP
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:50:01 pm »
Hi, i would like to know if this old speaker i guess you'd call it is worth anything. What would you estimate it's value to be? I really want to know about when this was made, what it was used for and other general info on it. I also want to know if theres a way i could hook it a to a microphone or something. so if someone could help me, that would be great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63591577@N07/6191275894/

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »
Can we get a better shot of the logo on the front and or any maker marks.  Not sure I would consider these as being valuable, have seen a few of the Loud Speakers at thrift shops for under $5.00, being these are and were used by many factories and Business for anouncements for years now. But if we can find the maker we can pinpoint the possible value, maker, and maybe Cir. 

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:32 am »
Looks like a vintage Western Electric loudspeaker ('weatherproof') , for use 'outdoors' .

I'd first suggest that you test the coil windings with an ohm meter , so as to know if there is a possibility that the unit can still function .

You'd need to use this speaker with a matched-ohm amplifier , etc .

I don't know the size of your item , so a post about that may help .

Many of these were used for old-time campaining , prior to elections , mounted on vehicles & also ice cream trucks , etc....; these also were used in factories/workplaces/ball parks as a part of 'Public Address' systems .

Value really depends upon your item being fully-functional , for collectors of such electrical units .

Depending on size , assuming it works , - small units ... around $5 to $15 , larger units $15 to $50 , really huge ones can fetch around $200 , sometimes , in my region (Pac NW) .

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:37:53 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:44:02 am »
Love these old speakers with age/character.  These are really starting to catch on with decorators...bet the prices will go up slightly over time!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!