Author Topic: Restoration of old leather please help  (Read 2090 times)

AfricaCollector

Restoration of old leather please help
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:54:38 am »
I bought a Masai sword and sheath the sword is in perfect condition but the sheath is old, has shrunk and dried up over time and the sword no longer is able to fit in the sheath.Any help would be greatly appreciated to restore the sheath and if not possible to restore it then I will plan on constructing a replica from new leather for it to be stored it and don't worry I wont get rid of the original. 

mart

• View Profile
Re: Restoration of old leather please help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:20:59 am »
Since you didn`t post pics we cannot see the condition or color of the leather sheath !! What I would suggest is Lexol leather conditioner or Neatsfoot oil !! These are not a quick fix and the drawback is that they will darken the leather somewhat.  Since you are replacing moisture that has evaporated over years its possible that it could have been a darker color originally !! When treating leather it is important to work the product in with your fingers bending it back and forth as much as possible without doing damage to get the flexibility back !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:22:17 am »
oil, oil, and more oil. no magic fix for leather, just love and conditioning
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »
Can't add anything but wanted to wish you welcome!!  What do you collect from Africa? 

I traveled a teeny bit in Africa 10 years ago. I swear when I go, Africa is the place you can scatter me....  Simply amazing, humbling, <insert a ton more adjectives here>.....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:27 am »
Ditto, ditto, ditto on the neatsfoot oil.  A product is sold called neatsfoot compound but the oil works much better.  I've read a few recommendations that the oil be applied to the flesh side preferably, but in some cases this can't be done. I have an old Air Force bomber jacket, Korean War vintage, with the original decals on it that I have kept going for years with the neatsfoot oil.  With the lining sewn in, I have to apply it to the outside.  It still works well though as Mart said, it will darken it slightly.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:46:10 am »
Those are great jackets aren`t they jondar ?? Hubby had one !! Think its still here somewhere !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »
Yes they are great jackets. It get looks wherever I wear it.  It belonged to a retired Air Force Colonel who was a great friend of mine.  Sadly passed on .  He fought in three wars, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam.  I never knew what the decals meant, if we have anyone here on the forum who is good at that, let me know.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 02:26:04 pm »
Hubby is 20 year Army, retired and his son is a Marine that likes all that stuff !!  Hubby was also in Korea at the end of WWII and Viet Nam !!  Send a pic and I will ask them if they know !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:46:54 am »
O.K. I'll start a new thread as Military Decals. Someone may know what they stand for.  Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:52:39 am »
I will be happy to ask for you !!