Author Topic: Carving Knife and Fork  (Read 1288 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Carving Knife and Fork
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »
I received this carving knife and fork from my great uncle. He couldn't tell me much about it only that he got this from his grandfather. His grandfather was a colonel in the Union Army during the Civil War. I'm thinking it was either made during that time or before the civil war. Was trench art common during the civil war? The only marks I could find is the letter N.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Carving Knife and Fork
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »
Hey, Kevin. I am sure there are others who will be able to help you. Just wanted to say those are nice! A similar idea to the carving set I posted a few days ago. Except they fit in together to make a fish of all things!

You can see it here, but you have to scroll a bit to find it.
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=9421.0

I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say about yours!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:28 pm »
Hi snowflake. I was looking through the forum trying to see if there was anything I could help anyone with when I saw your nice fish carving set. That reminded me of all the countless hours I have spent looking for a similar set to mine with no luck at all. Seeing how knowledgeable and helpful everyone here seems I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:59:44 pm »
When I did my search, almost every knife with that type of brass? metal stuff on it, (the thing that connects them) was made in India. Did another search and all came up the same. Mind you, I am by no means an expert, not even an amateur yet!   ;)

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »
After looking at yours again and noticing the clip was almost the same I was wondering the same thing. If it wasn't from India also.