Author Topic: any value to this old Cavalier baratone?  (Read 2671 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
any value to this old Cavalier baratone?
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
High again!! I saved this from goin to the dump and I was wondering if it had any value. Its an all steel baritone made by Cavalier in Elkhart Indiana. Ive found one picture total in two months of searching and the one I saw had a brass ring around the horn and was restored (it sold for $200!). This was my Grandpa's when he was in high school and I believe this was made in 1917 but Im not sure, just wondering if theres monetary value or if I shoulda let it go to the dump. thanks for your help
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: any value to this old Cavalier baratone?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:20:07 pm »
This one if you look at the writing, is also made in Elkhart Indiana. Was up for $190.
http://www.all-brass-instruments.com/brass-74020-Cavalier-Baritone-Vintage-made-by-Conn

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »
lol, thats the one I mentioned and it was they only reference I could find. That one was restored and has a brass ring, does that make mine older or newer since it has no brass?  Is mine more or less valuable unrestored with the patina, or should I get it a ultra sonic cleaning? I guess my question is if someone were to buy this would they want to play it or set it on a shelf and tell people what a great old thing it is  ????
H. G. Wells

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:30:36 pm »
Lots of people love old horns so it's always worth something. Personally, if you aren't going to keep it, I probably wouldn't restore unless you can do yourself (you are talented that way  ;D )

ebay is a very popular place to sell these. Haven't had time to research but Cavelier sounds familiar. I have an on going search for an antique cornet with ebay so I see quite a few go by...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »
This one doesn't look brass and they want $395.
http://www.marshwoodwinds.com/ViewItem.asp?ItemID=769&Action=GetGenre&GenreID=13

And a good article about the company, even though it is about the sax:
http://www.saxgourmet.com/conn__saxophones.htm

still searching about date on yours.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »
that appears to be identical to mine, right down to the brass valve (unless my eyes are playing tricks) thanks so much, Ive been looking forever and its so cool to see another one ( and find out its more valuable than I thought, seems less ugly now lol)
H. G. Wells

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:15:38 pm »
Even if it's not restorable, I will buy them for the shop even if it's just parts as people love to hang them on the wall as art or make fountains for their garden.  So it still has some value.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 02:08:18 pm »
You're welcome!